General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What rearends are in the Blazers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 04:11 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What rearends are in the Blazers?

Just like the title says. I would like to know whats in mine but it would be nice to know whats in other ones.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:50 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: What rearends are in the Blazers?

Rear Axle Identification
In your glove box you should have a list of RPO codes. Diff codes srart with a G
GT4

Rear Axle: 3.73 Ratio
GT5

Rear Axle: 4.10 Ratio
GU4

Rear Axle: 3.08 Ratio
GU6

Rear Axle: 3.42 Ratio
G67

Level Control: Automatic
G80

Rear Axle: Positraction

Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually ment what rear end as in 10 bolt, 12 bolt, etc. Im guessing its a 10 bolt but I dont know by looking and havent found it in the owners manual.

Good info though.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

10 bolt, and if I remember right, it's a 7 5/8"

Old 01-16-2007, 09:41 AM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point

whats the preferred rear end? besides a nice blonde.. hehe

Old 01-16-2007, 09:45 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends what years but I think most 1st gens are using the same rear ends as the f bodies just different supension.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The ZR2 & Highrider suspensions (Chevy & GMC variants) has an 8.5" rear ring gear. All others have the 7-5/8" ring gear. And yes, they are the GM-corp 10 bolt. The G80 locker is GMs Gov-loc arrangement and while it may be perfectly fine for on road to light offroad use, anything more and you'll want to put in a true posi or locker setup depending on your level of offroading.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The ZR2 & Highrider suspensions (Chevy & GMC variants) has an 8.5" rear ring gear. All others have the 7-5/8" ring gear. And yes, they are the GM-corp 10 bolt. The G80 locker is GMs Gov-loc arrangement and while it may be perfectly fine for on road to light offroad use, anything more and you'll want to put in a true posi or locker setup depending on your level of offroading.
Got any suggestions on a good posi? Locker's are cool and all... but a posi rocks for 2wd slides, lol

Old 01-16-2007, 10:09 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Got any suggestions on a good posi? Locker's are cool and all... but a posi rocks for 2wd slides, lol
Auburn makes good posi units, I used to run an air locker in my "strip/street" car, I am looking into the powertrax for the blazer, if you know how to use tools you can install it yourself in under an hour without touching the gears.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on if you have the G80 locker or not. In an open case, everything can be installed without removing the carrier. If you have the G80, I don't think anything goes into a G80 carrier... So that means you'd need to find an open diff carrier and transfer over your gears, install new bearings, then install the posi/locker unit of your choice.

Quick Reply: What rearends are in the Blazers?