General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What trailers have you towed with your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

I hauled my 95 Grand am when I bought it on Ebay in 2005 with my old 98 Blazer. I picked it up 20 miles east of Oklahoma City and made it all the way home to Houston, Tx. And that with a stuck brake caliper on the front. It froze the day I was leaving so didn't have time to change it. I went through a pair of brake pads until I got home. But it was fine. Thank god for flat freeways (generally)
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ecage47/data/ga1.jpg

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-06-2010 at 07:31 AM. Reason: changed *IMG* tags to *URL* due to image's large resolution
Old 07-03-2010, 07:39 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

with my '92 T15, 5 spd Jimmy;
-a '88, extended wheel base, 1 ton Chevy cargo van that weighed in @ 13,838 lbs on the scale @ the wreckers. boy did he freak when he saw those #'s!
-the stretch'd Dime my brother & i built for a friend. the Summer we were building it, i towed it all over southern Ontario to probably 6 or 7 car/truck shows, plus one in Battle Creek, MI in September. i'll look in my bucket for pic's of said stretch on my trailer (the truck was 5 inches longer than my total trailer length!)
-my brother's custom made 4' x 8' utility trailer (his design/plan/build for his grade 12 shop project) that wighed in @ 2147 kgs (a little over 4700 lbs.) it had 4 foot side on it @ the time.
-and countless other stupid things!

i say "countless other stupid things!" because i was replacing the rear gears every year, since the heavy loads i inflicted on my Jimmy would just destroy the pinion bearing. it was either that or the 7 grand shifts that broke pinion/ring gear teeth.

and that's why i now restrict my '98 to no more than my brother's Summer Dime (as it was going between the air brusher's shop & the paint (body) shop this past Feb/March) or any other mid-size car/truck. or the odd trip to the dump/building recycler's.

if it requires a HD tow vehicle (and it's during the Summer months), then my 'Burb gets the towing duties (which is part of the reason i got her).

oh yeah, cage47, you really need to resize that pic of yours-it's coming up 2 screens wide for my 21" monitor!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My latest towing experience was with my new camper:

2003 Starcraft Travelstar 19CK

Details:
  • Dry weight is 2495# with 346# on the tongue.
  • GVWR of the trailer is 4990# which we should not even approach even with all of our stuff.
  • 2500# rating on each axle.
  • Electric brakes on all four wheels.
Observations:
The Rainier knew it was there. Hill climbing wasn't too bad. 50-55mph is around 4000-4500RPM in 2nd so its spinning pretty fast to maintain speed on some hills, but it did it very well. Climbing hills from a standing start can be a bit fun, especially if it shifts into 2nd early... I need to get a shift kit into this to remove the 1st gear lockout!

Needs a brake controller!! I brought it home without one and it wasn't all that bad, but I kept at or under the speed limit and kept good distance on any vehicles I was following. However, to keep things safe, I will be installing a Tekonsha P3 electronic brake controller today (found on AdventureRV.net for $115 +s&h <-- CHEAP). I have installed a few of these for friends and they are amazing controllers!

Old 07-10-2010, 03:12 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

nice looking trailer Kyle.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chris! Just getting back to this thread to report on my latest trip with the camper. Went down to Watkins Glen on July 9th and came back home on July 16th. I don't know what it weighed fully loaded on the trip down, but it weighed in at 9400lbs with me and the family in it on my dad's scale (60' certified) on the return trip. That was without 35 gallons of water, no firewood, and next to no food/ice which all added up to about another 600lbs.

The Rainier handled it very well. It wasn't that far of a drive (~40 miles one way), but it still towed very well even in the hills. I was able to maintain 55-60mph just about everywhere and the Tekonsha P3 brake controller worked GREAT!

Here it is all hooked up and ready to go:

And then setup at the Watkins Glen State Park:

Old 07-25-2010, 07:17 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

My 01 I've pulled a few basic utility trailers with junk in them.

Also hauled a 95 Dakota regular cab, long box, v6, right after a blizzard that dropped 11'' the whole route from Cedar Rapids IA to Green Bay WI. Roughly 400 miles. Kept it in 3rd the whole way, doing between 55-65mph. Pulled it fine, stopped it fine, no overheating. Check engine light came on about 10 min after starting but went off the next day after unloading the truck. Two and a half tanks of gas.

BTW, nice camper Kyle. Perfect size.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Beginning Member
DoubleDouble is on a distinguished road

I towed my 21 foot Searay Laguna seaboat around for years with my Blazer untill I got my F-150.

The Blazer is a 88' S-10 with a 2.8.

Went through 1 transmission but the engine is still running and the truck did a great job.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I towed an open trailer with my '94 Jimmy. It's a pretty much stock vin W truck with 3.42 gears, class 3 reese hitch. The rear was of the truck was sagging a little at the time so the with the weight of the trailer loaded with furniture it was probably too low to the ground. The trailer itself was a fairly large single axle open trailer, just barely too small that it wouldn't fit a car on it. It didn't have brakes.

Power wise, the jimmy moved it down the road fine, but it probably could have been better. Had to keep it out of overdrive, even when empty. It just wanted to keep shifting in and out of overdrive. It would definitly do better if it had more power, or if it had better gearing.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:33 AM
Starting Member
Bad Attitude is on a distinguished road

The largest trailor I have hauled behind my 2000 blazer was a flat bed tandem tripple axle with a 6 meter deck it was a heavy duty trailor from work with a double chassis it probably weighed in at 1 1/2 ton and on that I had 5 size 9 bales of silage hay each one weighed approx 750kgs.

The blazer still cranked along at 100kph not a prob only had to travel about 60kms with that one though

Old 07-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Went on my first tow voyage with the bravada today. towed my new project home. 02 cavalier ls sport. about a 55 mile trip. not a single problem towing the car. lots of back roads which it handled great.

Quick Reply: What trailers have you towed with your truck?