General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What trailers have you towed with your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Silver00LT is on a distinguished road

00 Blazer 2wd.

6x14 trailer fully loaded with crap...close to 2000lbs. No problems except was in 3rd over very hilly terrain...so guess the mpg.

Want to do more with it though.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default towing

With my lawncare business I tow a 1400lb trailer 4 days a week for about 50 miles a day. I also pull my boat about 2 times a week and its right around 2000lb. I only have 342 gears with 33''s gears so it puts some stress on the transmission but its still going strong. "knock on wood" No engine upgrades just a drop in k&n. I've been doing this with my blazer since I got it at 94k miles and now i have 160k on it. Wish I had 373 gears though for sure

Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 AM
Beginning Member
Manatee is on a distinguished road

I towed two different 20' travel trailers with a 2000 2wd. One trip went to Mazatlan, another to Cabo San Lucas, both about 1000 miles down into Mexico. Both trailers were about 2900# dry. Other trips went to Montana, Washington, Oregon and New Mexico. I downsized to a 17' Casita trailer a couple of years ago, much nicer to tow,more aerodynamic and 2300# dry.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

lets see i towed a lot of things .

I towed my atv trailer that could fit 2 atvs on it
also i towed that trailer with a pallet of blocks on it (3600) pounds

i also towed a few trucks out of ditches and some stuck trucks to mechanics or homes

yea my blazers a tow truck now =P

Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

'97 4.3 4x4 S-blazer with the 4l60e automatic trans, 3.42 gears, 180,000 miles stock rad trans cooler. trailer is a '04 haulmark 6x10 8'tall overall, 6'interior height. 1,000 pounds empty. V-nose. well, this trailer pulls hard, doesnt matter if i use the ranger (4.0 V6/3.73's) or the blazer, both get about 12 mpg when towing this (even empty) at 55 mph. go faster it gets worse, there is so much frontal area its almost like trying to drive with the brakes on. handles it fine otherwise. i dont use overdrive when towing. deeper gears might help, but i think its just a matter of wind resistance and its just always going to be a issue. pulling open trailers, no problem. and this blazer will get a amazing 23 highway mpg on its own with no trailer.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 PM
junke is on a distinguished road
Default Excavator

I have a 77 full size pickup that has been my toy/workhorse for many years, I have towed my 8000 lb excavtor (10,000 lbs w/trailer) for many years with it. It tows nice with double brakes on the trailer and i built a sm. block 400 thats in it for plenty of snort . I recently picked up a 79 K5 and needed to tow my excav to a job and the pickup was down. Dont know if it was the wheel base difference or weight but the blazer drivers seat now has some serious pucker marks in it! At 65 mph I had to reach down and manually use the trailer brake acuator to activate the trailer brakes and straiten myself out to stop me from wagging off the highway. when I went back home that night there were wagging tire marks for about a 1/4 mile down the highway

Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

01 Jimmy 4.3L 3.73's with 32"s

scaled in at 2700lb, 200lb tounge weight (buggy and my overbuilt trailer, pretty heavy frame as it often gets dragged through some pretty rough terrain)

tow it regularily, last longer trip was from Vancouver to Okanogan(400km) Braking I can deffinitally feal it's behind me but with 4 wheel disc still stops pretty fast. Tranny temps use to rise higher then I liked, but with a god tranny cooler everything is good. peaked at 225 after a 13km incline(7% I think it is) and used a tank of fuel for the trip there.

Handling wise it did good

If you read my sig I popped my air shocks on a previous outing so I didn't have them aired

Last edited by 69chevelle; 07-18-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Starting Member
btmbass is on a distinguished road

I've got a stock 95 blazer. It didn't have the hitch from the factory, I installed one off a 96 blazer. I intend to install a trans cooler asap.

My first two adventure with my blazer was my cousin's jeep across town. It was only a 5 mile trip without any issues

I tow my small boat at least once a week about 10 miles through hilly terrain without an issue.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

Heres my trailer, and yes i did have the rims powdercoated to match the blazer. haha.....Ive towed it about 5000km or so this year. Once you go 100km or more it really fights to stay in OD, lots of the limits here are 80 and 90 kmh, it runs in od no problem at that speed, but get a bit of a head wind and your guzzling back the gas. I did blow the transmission cooler going up a mountain pass with it, so new rad and a larger aux. transmission cooler and it has been running fine over the past few mountain passes, although i havent had it as loaded down as i did when i blew the cooler. We use it mainly to haul our bikes around but used it to move all of our stuff out to the west coast for the summer.

Last weekend heading down to a race it was just spitting enough to make the roads wet, a bmw 2 cars infront of us had its rear end slide out and 180 into the center divider on the freeway, slammed on the brakes had the abs going and trailer slipping out sideways, managed to pull around the car with a few inches to spare..it was a close one.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM
ve3nsv is on a distinguished road

I tow this trailer pretty much every weekend for my part time DJ job. Trailer usually has speakers, bass bins, trussing and other equipment and the Jimmy tows it just fine.

Last edited by ve3nsv; 08-10-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: picture size too large

Quick Reply: What trailers have you towed with your truck?