General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 AM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road
Default What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?

I changed my oil yesterday, and I always find myself spending a lot of time at the oil filter rack. I usually buy the K&N HP-2001, but at $13.99, I cant do that anymore while putting that Lucas Oil Stabilizer it it.
So.. I bought an AC Delco Filter, It's blue, and really slippery if you get oil on it. haha
Which do you guys prefer?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

I use the ACdelco..... or Wix, sometimes purolator gold. All are good choices

Fram = NO WAY too many horror stories and supposed engine failures (i say supposed because i've never personally seen one but i've heard of quite a few)

I heard the K&N's weren't really all that good. especially for the price. Now i don't know how true it is but what i've heard/read is that the K&N filters get their higher flowing characteristics by having a more free flowing element inside, and they achieve that by making it in a way that it doesn't trap as small particles as the standard filters do. Just as an example the delco filters may trap something as small as 5 microns where the k&n only traps down to 50 microns (these are not real numbers just an example). They get away with that because they are designed to be used on race cars where the oil is changed on every run or so and the oil doesn't really get the chance to break down.

Just my opinions and info that i've heard/read

Old 10-02-2011, 01:49 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I use delco my self

Old 10-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Wix..

Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
I use the ACdelco..... or Wix, sometimes purolator gold. All are good choices

Fram = NO WAY too many horror stories and supposed engine failures (i say supposed because i've never personally seen one but i've heard of quite a few)

I heard the K&N's weren't really all that good. especially for the price. Now i don't know how true it is but what i've heard/read is that the K&N filters get their higher flowing characteristics by having a more free flowing element inside, and they achieve that by making it in a way that it doesn't trap as small particles as the standard filters do.

Just my opinions and info that i've heard/read
Good to know about the fram's, Thanks. I heard the same thing just yesterday, I couldn't find the K&N I needed and went for help. The manager said the store will stop selling them because they get stolen more than they're sold, and he didn't like them anyway because they dont protect like the other filters do. Then he said the AC Delco was a good choice, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by FsTFwRd
Good to know about the fram's, Thanks. I heard the same thing just yesterday, I couldn't find the K&N I needed and went for help. The manager said the store will stop selling them because they get stolen more than they're sold, and he didn't like them anyway because they dont protect like the other filters do. Then he said the AC Delco was a good choice, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
One more i forgot about. I've heard that the Napa Gold are very good filters as well. A few shop owners i know swear by them. Although i can't personally attest to that, i think they're a bit more expensive than the aforementioned filters.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont really care about the brand I just dont like how they got what they call 6xxx which is a bigger filter. I like the smaller ones the 3xxx it just seems like it would be a better filter. Because they say your supose to change you oil every 3000 miles why buy something that is for every 6000 miles and is changing the filters design going to effect the truck I mean they spent thoasands to redesign the filter and millions designing the truck So the bottem line is go with the one the truck came with the shorter one. Sorry about the rambbling.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by DaddysBlazer
I dont really care about the brand I just dont like how they got what they call 6xxx which is a bigger filter. I like the smaller ones the 3xxx it just seems like it would be a better filter. Because they say your supose to change you oil every 3000 miles why buy something that is for every 6000 miles and is changing the filters design going to effect the truck I mean they spent thoasands to redesign the filter and millions designing the truck So the bottem line is go with the one the truck came with the shorter one. Sorry about the rambbling.
Over the last 10 years and even since the 80's the technology put into oil has changed significantly. The 3000 mile oil change is a thing of the past in 99% of cases. The oil itself doesn't break down it just gets contaminated and the additive package breaks down. With new technologies in the additives of oil and especially synthetics the oils will last a lot longer. which is where the new larger and higher tech oil filters come in because during a longer oil change interval they have to be designed to handle more contamination in the oil. Most new cars now have recommended 7500 mile oil changes...and in fact alot of them now have oil change warning lights that use a mathematical algorithm to determine oil life based on run time, idle time, road speed, and engine rpm. Some even have sensors that analyze the oil in the pan.

So in conclusion there's lots of reasons to use the larger filter. But if you're doing 3000 mile oil changes then the original filter is probably sufficient. Although in most cases in this day in age 3000 mile oil changes are not needed and kinda a waste of money. Best way to determine when you need to change your oil is to have an oil analysis done at 3000 mile intervals and use them to determine when your actual oil change needs to be done.

Sorry for the rant guys just putting that out there. I am by no means an expert on oil/filter tech I've just done alot of research on the topic.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

im not sure of the stories about fram filter, i have never heard of any personally... i have been useing fram from day 1 car 1, i started driveing
1976, and had 26 cars in that time and had atleast 200 oil changes all with fram filters, works for me...
Fram all the way baby!!!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by okiedoak20
im not sure of the stories about fram filter, i have never heard of any personally... i have been useing fram from day 1 car 1, i started driveing
1976, and had 26 cars in that time and had atleast 200 oil changes all with fram filters, works for me...
Fram all the way baby!!!
As long as they work for you, thats all that matters. The thing about the fram filter is that wonderful grip on the top of it. I wish they all would do that.
I used the napa gold filter before I started to use the K&N's. I may go back to those at the next oil change, as long as they're not to $$$$

Quick Reply: What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?