General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I just use the ones at work. They're made by Purolator, and they are known for making good filters.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member
racer1044 is on a distinguished road

Bosch distance plus. I work at advance auto and from the information that I have read its suppose to have one of the best micron ratings of all the brands we carry.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I usually buy whatever is on sale at that time minus a fram. What's on there now is a puro gold I think. I'll update this when I change my oil soon. I ran 10w-40 for summer and need to change back to 5w-30 for winter.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

purlolator, K&N arguably the best ones, maybe mobil 1? cant remember

Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zanders
purlolator, K&N arguably the best ones, maybe mobil 1? cant remember
I've done some research because I've got myself interested now. These guys cut open all the major brands of oil filters and looked them over. Their saying...well here is the link, check it out. From what I got from it, Baldwin filters are the best. Opinions and Recommendations - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM
01inthewoods is on a distinguished road

Usually use the AC Delcos, never had an issue w/ Frams, like the grip deal, agree w/ another poster that it should be industry wide, just a good idea! But I usually use the PF-51 size whenever it will fit, instead of a factory called for PF-47 size. The threads and mating surfaces are identical, just a deeper can. Deeper can=more filter material. 4.3 V6's use both, depending on what it's in. If the bigger one fits, use it. Learned this on a 3.8 (231) Buick V6. Factory called for the 47, but the 51 fit just fine. Many other styles of filter do this as well. As long as the threads and mating surface are the same, anything goes.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:33 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by FsTFwRd
I've done some research because I've got myself interested now. These guys cut open all the major brands of oil filters and looked them over. Their saying...well here is the link, check it out. From what I got from it, Baldwin filters are the best. Opinions and Recommendations - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources
On that list, AC Delco's arent too great.. about same as Fram.
Been buying Motorcrafts, Mobil 1 or Puro for Fords, AC D's for the Chevvies.
Guess that strikes one off the list.

About 15 years ago, a couple guys on the Mustang newsgroup issued a rant about finding little filings in Frams. I checked out several next time I bought and found a teeny filing in one.. plus all the cut and sees say Fram is built cheap. Why not avoid them on principal, anyway

Oil filters are nowhere near as critical as they were before emissions standard. The crankcase is now a closed system and any air entering it is strained by the air filter.

What's the filter filtering? basically, chunks of burnt oil or sludge.. and the sludge will just be dissolved.

On the subject of larger filters, the better shape the engine bearings the less oil flow. High precision mfg made small filter feasible. Probably the older the engine and more wear the greater the filter surface needed to avoid starvation.

I'd say the oil you use is more critical than the filter. I use Mobil1. If you use big brand 'State Name' ...and worry about what filter you use you are ignorant, but what do I know.. only been watching the results of using certain brands for 40 years..

And lets think about it... that changing oil by mileage is stupid. Change by season. Twice a year with better oil if you do long drives/ commutes. 3 or 4 times with cheaper oil if almost all short trips. The biggest issue in those grocery getters is condensation.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-02-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:45 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pettyfog
On that list, AC Delco's arent too great.. about same as Fram.
Been buying Motorcrafts, Mobil 1 or Puro for Fords, AC D's for the Chevvies.
Guess that strikes one off the list.

About 15 years ago, a couple guys on the Mustang newsgroup issued a rant about finding little filings in Frams. I checked out several next time I bought and found a teeny filing in one.. plus all the cut and sees say Fram is built cheap. Why not avoid them on principal, anyway

Oil filters are nowhere near as critical as they were before emissions standard. The crankcase is now a closed system and any air entering it is strained by the air filter.

What's the filter filtering? basically, chunks of burnt oil or sludge.. and the sludge will just be dissolved.

On the subject of larger filters, the better shape the engine bearings the less oil flow. High precision mfg made small filter feasible. Probably the older the engine and more wear the greater the filter surface needed to avoid starvation.

I'd say the oil you use is more critical than the filter. I use Mobil1. If you use big brand 'State Name' ...and worry about what filter you use you are ignorant, but what do I know.. only been watching the results of using certain brands for 40 years..

And lets think about it... that changing oil by mileage is stupid. Change by season. Twice a year with better oil if you do long drives/ commutes. 3 or 4 times with cheaper oil if almost all short trips. The biggest issue in those grocery getters is condensation.

yes i agree i do an oil change before winter and then before summer

Old 10-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Starting Member
InsanePyro is on a distinguished road

I usually used Fram up until I discovered NAPA had one for $2.50 and since my motor is on the way out I'm using that no questions asked

Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by InsanePyro
I usually used Fram up until I discovered NAPA had one for $2.50 and since my motor is on the way out I'm using that no questions asked
cogito ergo sum

Hell yeah.. why pay more for same crap. Not saying the Fram caused your engine aging.. but hell. I dont know ANYONE who sees the inside of an engine uses them.

Quick Reply: What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?