General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What Year is this??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sgp7679
so from the looks of it I have a 93' grill on my 87'?
Yeah you have a 93 grille on your 87... did it ever get smacked?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:06 PM
sgp7679 is on a distinguished road

Not that I know of, I just bought the truck. The hood does have a dent on the front where it looks like someone might have hit a pole.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Maybe it got a little tweaked and the previous owner got the front clip you see here on the cheap.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM

yea probably, i like how it looks with the black wheels. Now I just wish i had some money so I can start fixing her up.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sgp7679
so from the looks of it I have a 93' grill on my 87'?
like Pat (oktain) said, yup.

notice the hugh gap under each HL? that what the difference between the '83/'90 & '91/'94 rad supports are. not much, but pretty noticeable when it is. and like i said earlier, all the hardware is interchangable between the two different cradles, it's just the placement of where the lights sit.

[quote=01BlackBeauty;351593]I'm sticking with my original thought that it's an '89. My '89 had an aluminum strip running across the end gate and the word Chevrolet imprinted on the right (passenger) side of it. I purchased the vehicle from the original owner and it was never involved in an accident so I'm confident the end gate was never replaced.

My '85 GMC T-15 had the same aluminum strip on the end gate, but GMC was imprinted on the left (driver) side of it [quote]

that's the difference between GMC (left side) & Chevy (right side). both my '90 'Burb's were the same way. the GMC one had it on the driver's side (left), and the Chevy had it on the passenger's side (right) and both truck were identical in colour.

my '92 didn't even have "GMC" or "Jimmy" on the TG, it had something better.......

Originally Posted by oktain
Maybe it got a little tweaked and the previous owner got the front clip you see here on the cheap.
maybe, maybe not Pat. the grill swap is the easiest way to update the look of the truck. and since it's a little bit of work to change the cradle, 99.9% of the people aren't going to do it as well.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like it might have been a retro fit of a newer model grill on it. They also changed something about the rear of the vehicles in 91 but can't remember what it was. I think it was when they started using the struts that bolt into the glass instead of a bolt on the trim around the glass.

Yeah your dads looks like a 3 inch body lift with 30-31 inch tires and early 80's camaro IROC rims like others have said. You could always make a lowered tribute to your dads Blazer since you are 2wd. Lower it a tad with silver IROCS like he had.

Or since you are 2wd. Raise it like his was. You can do the body lift and all and put on some AT tires and the camaro rims. Change out the ring and pinion in the rear axle and it'll roll around town just like his. Won't be quiet as good off road as a 4wd, but just have people go with you that can pull you if need be. Either way that is a nice 1st gen.

Be glad you don't have to worry about rust! The few 1st gens around here in WV are normally tore up and the whole bottom 4-6 inches of the body is missing cause of rust! I need a new front passenger fender and both rocker panels and holes patched on the rear behind the bumper and on the right rear quarter where I got hit. My tax return is going to a body/paint shop this year, lol. Agian, nice lookin 1st gen and keep us updated on what you plan to do with it.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:18 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
Looks like it might have been a retro fit of a newer model grill on it. They also changed something about the rear of the vehicles in 91 but can't remember what it was. I think it was when they started using the struts that bolt into the glass instead of a bolt on the trim around the glass.

you're right. but then you're not (didn't want to say you're wrong )

what they started to do was NOT install the metal trim around the rear hatch window. that actually started in late '90 models.

as for the wrong part...............the window has always had the struts bolt through the glass. look @ an earlier rear window (with the trim on it), you'll see there's no way the trim is wide enough to mount anything to.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:18 PM

well right now im just going to do my rag joint, front end and fix my oil leak and get her driving right first.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
as for the wrong part...............the window has always had the struts bolt through the glass. look @ an earlier rear window (with the trim on it), you'll see there's no way the trim is wide enough to mount anything to.
See this is what I fought with a guy at the salvage yard with for almost a half hour untill he installed it for me. He said none of the back glasses had lift struts that bolted through holes in the back glass. I said mine did and most 1st gens that don't have the rear wiper bolt this way. He took a 1st gen back glass without the rear wiper that had the hinges with out the air deflector and installed it and he popped off the bolt and holder on the end of the strut and popped the end of the strut onto a post that was on the inside of the back glass. I've never seen one mount like this and he says everyone he ever worked on was done like this and he said he had never encountered one that bolted through holes in the glass like mine did.

I think he was wrong and just didn't want to admit it. I was wrong on the glass not fitting, I thought it was for a 2nd gen, but after it was on the truck. I was man enough to apoligise. I'll snap some pics to show what I'm talking about and show you tomarrow.

Don't hold back to tell me I'm wrong, I'll keep spreading wrong information unless I'm told otherwise. I was just thinking that someone once told me how to spot the couple years apart from something on the back and couldn't quite remember what it was. Thought it was the glass but wasn't sure. Anywho I be surrendering this booty back to the rightful poster whom started it. Sorry I pirated it, lol.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:49 PM

shes drivin right now (almost)

Quick Reply: What Year is this??