General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What was your worst break down? and how did you get Home !

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Oh, I've got a few, haha...

On my 76 Grand Prix the battery cable split while I was 10 minutes from home at a Burger King. Luckily a couple guys helped me out. Drove me to their house to grab some tools, jacked the car up, they drove me to Autozone for a new cable, and got it all fixed.

On my 89 Jimmy, I was at a movie and didn't want to sit in the traffic leaving, so I decided to go through the field next to the theater and out to the road. Clipping along about 40 MPH and my buddy next to me mentions how fast we're going and asks me to slow down. I say OK, hit the brakes...right as the road dips down into a muddy ravine. Three foot drop, buried up to the frame up front, rear tires aren't on the ground because I'm hung up on the bumper in the rear. Needless to say, I wasn't moving.

Got a ride home (at 1 am) and had my buddy pick me up from work the next day in his Jeep. Hook up a strap, and nothing, truck wouldn't budge at all! Finally get a tow truck out there, guy hooks up two lines together since I was about 100 yards off the road, and proceeds to tug me out. Gets me almost out of the ravine, and one of the lines snaps. Hook up another one and he gets me out.

After I took my new Blazer in for trans work I was borrowing my sisters 96 Grand Am. Went to Arby's for some dinner, and as I was leaving the gauges went totally crazy and the car died. Turns out the alternator kicked the bucket. Pushed the car off the side of the road (considered leaving the POS there) and got a tow.

Then, get my truck back and go offroading with it on Saturday night. Sunday afternoon I'm heading out for a date, stop at an intersection for a red light. Light turns green, and I can't go forward. Call the date and explain, push the truck into the Pep Boys parking lot next to me, and call a friend. Tow the truck to my mechanic's shop and they say it's definitely the trans. Toss it in reverse and drive to the car wash down the block. Spray off 98% of the dirt/mud left on it, move it back to the shop. Call a tow truck and bring it back to the trans shop. Trans blew...again. 2nd time in 2 weeks.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
Oh, I've got a few, haha...

On my 76 Grand Prix the battery cable split while I was 10 minutes from home at a Burger King. Luckily a couple guys helped me out. Drove me to their house to grab some tools, jacked the car up, they drove me to Autozone for a new cable, and got it all fixed.

On my 89 Jimmy, I was at a movie and didn't want to sit in the traffic leaving, so I decided to go through the field next to the theater and out to the road. Clipping along about 40 MPH and my buddy next to me mentions how fast we're going and asks me to slow down. I say OK, hit the brakes...right as the road dips down into a muddy ravine. Three foot drop, buried up to the frame up front, rear tires aren't on the ground because I'm hung up on the bumper in the rear. Needless to say, I wasn't moving.

Got a ride home (at 1 am) and had my buddy pick me up from work the next day in his Jeep. Hook up a strap, and nothing, truck wouldn't budge at all! Finally get a tow truck out there, guy hooks up two lines together since I was about 100 yards off the road, and proceeds to tug me out. Gets me almost out of the ravine, and one of the lines snaps. Hook up another one and he gets me out.

After I took my new Blazer in for trans work I was borrowing my sisters 96 Grand Am. Went to Arby's for some dinner, and as I was leaving the gauges went totally crazy and the car died. Turns out the alternator kicked the bucket. Pushed the car off the side of the road (considered leaving the POS there) and got a tow.

Then, get my truck back and go offroading with it on Saturday night. Sunday afternoon I'm heading out for a date, stop at an intersection for a red light. Light turns green, and I can't go forward. Call the date and explain, push the truck into the Pep Boys parking lot next to me, and call a friend. Tow the truck to my mechanic's shop and they say it's definitely the trans. Toss it in reverse and drive to the car wash down the block. Spray off 98% of the dirt/mud left on it, move it back to the shop. Call a tow truck and bring it back to the trans shop. Trans blew...again. 2nd time in 2 weeks.

haha you been threw some stuff eh ?

Hows that new transmission and did you finish paying the loan?

Old 08-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Final loan repayment for the first trans will be paid out on 8/16, then I start the 2nd loan repayment.

So far the trans is fine.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Final loan repayment for the first trans will be paid out on 8/16, then I start the 2nd loan repayment.

So far the trans is fine.

nice nice i need to repay my friend 250 bucks since he lended it to me to buy my tires

Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM

I wish my loans were only 250, haha.

Thankfully the first loan only has 175 left to repay, so it's almost there.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road

Ok this is going to sound like a fish story but it all really happened.
My family take the boat to the intercoastal waterway from Orlando approx. 60 mi.
After heading up river awhile and fishing a bit, it looks like a storm is coming in.
Try to start the boat and nothing. (keyway between magneto and crankshaft sheared off)
Throw out the anchor to try and maintain position and the rope breaks.
Waving, yelling, air horn no one stops they are all trying to beat the approching storm.
Finally a sailboat comes by to check on us, lowers his sail drops in a 5 HP outboard and tows us back to the ramp.
Three hours later soaked with 6-8 inches of water on deck we arrive.
Put the boat on the trailer and the axle snaps from the extra weight.
A trip to the hardware store and we patch it up with a 4x4 and u-bolts.
When we get back to town we unload the boat in a local lake and get a spare trailer from home.
Load the boat on the 2nd trailer and 100 yards down the road it slides off the side and into the ditch.
Boat was never meant for the 2nd trailer.
Dad goes back to get the 1st trailer while we wait in the boat.
After plenty of comments from passers-by we get it loaded up and head for home.
Then the car runs out of gas.
So we use the boat gas. The 2 stroke gas. And off we go smokin' like Cheech and Chong.
Our patched axle snaps 10 blocks from home.
We drag the whole sparking smoking heap the rest of the way.
Once home we decide not to push our luck doing anything or going anywhere the rest of the month. (it was the 29th or 30th).
The following day my brother misses the bus and dad gives him a ride.
They get in a head on collision totalling the car (75' Monte Carlo) and dad breaks his neck. ( He's ok now)
Every August we remember the unlucky month for our family.
Wait what month is it?
Think I'll call my dad and see how he's doing

Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 PM

Wow... I'd absolutely stay in a padded room all of August from now on eating nothing but nonperishable foods, haha.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 PM
BF Guru

Wow... I'd absolutely stay in a padded room all of August from now on eating nothing but nonperishable foods, haha.

haha not even padded i wanna be in lots of bubble wrap too

Old 08-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Nah, you can suffocate in bubble wrap.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:44 PM
BF Guru

Nah, you can suffocate in bubble wrap.

true =o padded room it is

Quick Reply: What was your worst break down? and how did you get Home !