General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What was your worst break down? and how did you get Home !

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 PM
igs4dragon8 is on a distinguished road

my worst break down was on my 97 sw1. wean i trough a pin troughthe side of the bell housing, radiator, and ac condenser. just changed the oil, trany fluid, filter and flushed radiator not just five days before. ;(

Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Chevy33
I live about 20 minutes south of Atlanta. The miserable trip I had planned to go aprox. 100 miles to get a 1998 Blazer for my girlfriend started the evening before the trip day. I borrowed a tow dolly to bring the Blazer back with my 2dr. Jimmy. After attaching the dolly and turning onto the road the problems began. One of the supports that stabilize the dolly was broken. This caused the dolly to sway back and forth. The sway was so bad at 35 miles/hr I had to go 30 with the flashers on so as to not scare other drivers. I don't know how to weld and it was late on a Friday so I took the swaying dolly back to the shop where I worked and did my best to weld the thing back. I somehow got the thing to stay together after burning several rods.
The next day I was off at 8:00 AM with my girlfriend's son to get the Blazer. Little did I know that the violent swaying of the dolly caused the bearing in the rear axle on the drivers side to separate. I was clueless and traveling 70 on the interstate. I had the radio up loud enough the extra roar of the axle with no bearings was not that noticeable. The gear oil in the rear end was pouring out and had soaked the fender on the dolly. I soon noticed a foul odor and smoke pouring from the rear. I was just north of Atlanta when I noticed this. I pulled over and looked at the underside of the Jimmy. The smoke I first noticed was a vacuum line melting on the exhaust. Luckily I found a pen and was able to connect the vacuum line back together. I thought my troubles were solved. This is when I noticed the fender on the dolly was coated with some type of fluid. I stopped at an Autozone and removed the rear wheel. I realized the bearing was gone and the axle was grinding on the outer race. I brought tools so I thought I might fix this. Oh **** !, there is a sign that says no working on cars in the parking lot. Sales people said the police really enforce this. I put the wheel back on and drove my disabled Jimmy directly across the street from the Autozone and then got some bearings. I jacked up the rear and proceeded to remove the axle and install the new bearing. Oh ****!, someone has already replace the bearing before with one that fixes the spun bearing problem. Back to the store and hope like hell they got this. Whew! they had it. Now the axle. Knocking the inner race off was easy enough but the axle was eaten up pretty bad. I knew all this was a patch job just to get home. I managed to get everything back on and filled with fluid but no chance the seal was going to hold anything back. I lost all the gear oil within the first 100 feet and just kept driving. I got home around 8:00 PM. I really hate the factory jack but it saved my *** this time.
I had a bad breakdown pulling a trailer, only I blew the rad. I had another bad breakdown a few years ago with the blazer and of course, the breakdowns only happen when your traveling.
I was in saskatoon in my way to edmonton and im in rush hour traffic, i hit the brakes and i hear this loud BOOM, i look around going wtf did someone just rear end me. So I go forwards a bit when the light turns green, it turns red and i hit the brakes and there is nothing....So i pump the brakes a few times and manage to stop before rear ending someone. I pull off the side of the road to check stuff and go hmm, ok everything seems ok, so i drive a bit further and everytime i hit the brakes its super loud. So i pull over again we pull the wheel off to notice that one of the brake pads was jammed between the rotor and the caliper. So I limp to an auto store braking as much with the engine as I can and find new pads, but they did not have the tools, so i limped across the city to princess auto where i got the tools, mainly a c clamp and a wrench. The braking material had seperated from the metal baking on the pad and it shot the metal backing between the caliper and the rotor. Got new pads in could barely compress the piston back in, drove to edmonton, gas mileage sucked..yes even worse than normal...so figured that the piston was not releasing properly, shops there wanted way to much to replace the caliper so of course i decided i would drive back to winnipeg (over 1000km) and fix it when i got home. Well i managed to drive over 1000km without using my brakes once and only engine braking. And the further i drove the better the fuel economy got so i knew the piston was sticking.

Heres pics to prove it

Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

WHOA you call those pads ? haha just playing

i bet ya needed rotors too eh

Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 AM
gojorg has a spectacular aura aboutgojorg has a spectacular aura about

Let's see
1-Bought a 1971 chevy nova (my 3rd one) even that I was told it was sitting for a long time didn't check everything like I should have and didn't noticed the tires were rotted so doing 75 mph down the NJ turnpike my right rear tire decided to explode while I was on the 3rd lane to the left out of 4 with traffic on my left and a tractor trailer on my right slightly behind me so when my car started fishtailing and me trying to stay in the lane the truck driver noticed it and slowed down and blocked traffic for me to move to the shoulder and just my luck no jack on the car, at least it was about half a mile from a rest area, limped the car there, called my buddy to pick me up and rush to my truck ( I'm a truck driver) and make the delivery on time then go buy a jack and rescue my car.

2-Had a Honda Prelude 1991 that I got for free (the price was right) used it for 2 months and burned more oil than gas (that's why it was so cheap) one night halfway home from work it blew the engine, I was in better health than now and it was flat I pushed it up to the house (the nice thing about living close to work) ended up selling it on ebay for 160 so I recovered the money I spent on oil,lol

3-Was at the racetrack as an expectator in my 1980 Datsun 210 wagon, leaving after the event I'm laughing at a guy that did a neutral drop on his ford van and broke his driveshaft so 20 feet past him (and I was not showing off) my U-joint broke too, was there until everyone left now laughing at me and the guy in the van, well I was broke (see 16 year old without work) so I could not afford a tow truck about 45 miles from home lucky for me and to this day I ask myself why the tow truck driver that went to pick up the van had a Datsun 210 wagon driveshaft in his tow truck and sold it to me for what I had in my pocket that was $35

4-The last one, My 1999 chevy venture left us stranded about 5 miles from home, I drove it there parked it and when was getting ready to leave it would not start, It had gas It was cranking but no go, called road service the guy gets there he tried to start it and actually drained the battery just cranking it, got it on the tow truck and when we got home he went to roll it off the bed and when he got in hit the key it fired right up, have not done it again so I don't know what went wrong there

Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Xenon is on a distinguished road

This is a pretty interesting thread... Probably the worst I've had was when the alternator went in my F250... It was almost worst case... at night in the cold, so lights and heat on but no rain luckily. The lights were slowly getting dimmer, but I was in a hurry and didn't notice it in time - battery voltage hit 10v and wouldn't fire the coil and I was done for. Called dad to come out (it was on a rural stretch of interstate in North Carolina) and bring me a charged up battery. It was light by then so I made it back home on just the battery...

Shame on me for not paying attention to my volt gauge...

Old 02-18-2012, 02:29 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Long SAD story, but . . Went on holiday in Dec '09. On the way we went through a gorge & at the bottom saw a "fishing track" so I decided to do a quick trip down to the river & drive on the waters edge. (despite my wife's objections) Had some fun, took pictures etc. After getting back on the track, changed from 4Lo to 4Hi to get back to the main road, - NO GO. Made my way back up to the road but still no luck getting out of 4LO. Had to ride at 10-15kph for about 10 kilometres to get phone signal. Called the AA & tow truck carried the Blazer to a Mitsubishi dealer (where they'd never seen a Blazer before) in a one horse town where they checked, removed the t.case motor to shift it into 2LO but it's jammed solid. Shift motor worked fine.
No idea what happened 'cause I did not hear anything & the t.case was working at the river & on a beach earlier in the day.
The extended warranty (which was due to expire in 2 weeks) paid for the towing & agreed to pick up the tab for the t.case. Problem is, the nearest t.case repairer was in Auckland (600km away). So truck had to stay in this little town. This was a Friday. No bus to get out to another town so ended up spending the night in a motel. The nearest car hire (an hours drive away) did not have a driver to bring me a rental! So we canned the holiday & phoned my daughter in Auckland to bring the wife's Smart ForFour to pick us up & take us home!
After to & fro'ing, eventually got the truck up & running the weekend before Christmas so it was a mad rush to get back down there before the dealer closed for Christmas.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 AM
LucasMI is on a distinguished road

Wheel bearing on my 2500 Ram went out and shoved the front axle pretty much under the cab. lifted the front end with my buddies JCD backhoe and drug it home.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road

Thankfully blazers have almost never let me down. I am on my 6th one and while things go wrong frequently they never left me stranded.
The one time I absolutely could not get my truck home was back in 2001. I had just gotten back from bootcamp, decide to take my 86 2.8 4wd 2dr out. going through a decent mudhole everything is great. As i get to the crest all hell breaks loose and I high center on the lip of the hole with all 4 wheels off the ground. The front diff decided to stop working just then. I ended up getting pulled out by a friends Montero (very embarrassing)

One time my work van decided to shatter its spider gears (89 astro 4.3 with t-5) I cannot blame it I had beat the crap out of it. Towed it back fixed the rear and trans (trans didn't work in 1st or 2nd) had to start in third each time.

My 00 Z24 was the best, trans basically exploded after the 3rd rebuild by mr. goodwrench (never let the dealer touch a car after) completely blew out the gear set.

I also blew a tercel up when it ran out of oil on the highway. Lamest engine seize ever no big bang, just a pop and that was the ball game. I got it for 200. bought another for 200, swapped the engine. scrapped the donor and sold the car for 500.

my current zr2 sits with a upper intake manifold leak and running like garbage. Going to fix it but I have 2 other cars to drive and it isn't like it is snowing. I drove my convertible yesterday for petes sake.

Probably the funniest break down was my friends 69 chevelle. We had just swapped to a 383, built th400 and posi 12 bolt. seems jon didn't properly secure the c clip and the pass axle came out while going down the road... derp.