General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Auto xray Scanner

Old 05-08-2006, 06:34 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auto xray Scanner

Anyone using one of these with the PC hookup? I'm considering spending the money, so tell me whats good about it. How well does the interface software work out and other than getting codes, what can I accomplish for all those dollars.

If this thing isnt any good, tell me what is.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Auto xray Scanner

Which specific scanner are you thinking of purchasing?

A scanner is definitely a good thing to have when working on newer vehicles.

On a side note, do you have a laptop? I run my Autotap on an old Dell Latitude CPi 233mhz laptop and it works just fine. I got it for free from my wife's company. They were just going to throw it away. Take a look at the Autotap scanner at www.AutoTap.com

Only downside of the Autotap is its only OBD2+ compliant, so OBD1 and OBD1.5 vehicles are SOL. But heck, even the '95 GM vehicles with OBD1.5 are pretty much SOL even on the OBD1/2 scanners.

*EDIT* - Must be the AutoXray EZ-Scan 6000. I think it's the only one with EZ-PC link. If I had it to do over again, I may have leaned towards the AutoXray EZ-Scan 6000, but when I purchased my scanner (almost 3 years ago now), AutoXray barely had a product worth mentioning and Autotap was so configurable it wasn't even funny. I love the dashboard view you can create in Autotap and the recording capability is also a great feature (which the 6000 has also). The 6000 doesn't require a computer to run, but without getting into the nitty-gritty of how it works, I wouldn't know how easy it would be to get the info off of it either.

I don't know of any other scanners (aside from the TechII and Snap-Ons monster) that can connect to a PC for downloading of info. But I didn't really try very hard to find any others either.

I will say that I am VERY happy with my AutoTap purchase and it has already paid for itself in the work that I have been able to do. It has also saved me money on repairing the proper part instead of taking the shotgun approach to replacing things. Its amazing what you can find out about how your vehicle runs when you can see what the PCM uses to keep the engine running.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:38 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Auto xray Scanner

Had enough of snap-ons overkill many years ago, havent even looked in that direction. I do have snap -on tools left, but they are marked with my dads marks. He gave them to me years ago, when he retired. I dont buy them anymore.

Yes you're correct about the model, saw it in a "Pro Pack" kit that seemed to meet my ideas. The EZ-PC-500 has to be added to achieve laptop or computer integration. Yeah have a laptop that can handle it.

What I dont know is if my ideas are any good??