General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Blazer has no power when full throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer has no power when full throttle.

Hello to everyone long time to read! Its good to be back on the forum when I need it the most lol! Well heres the deal 97 Blazer 4.3 4x4 is running like I was towing 10 tons I think is the best way to describe the problem. I checked the gas pressure and changed the filter. A mechenic I took it to swore to me it was the camshaft and expalined that the vortec engines suffer this problem frequantly and had a van in the shop with the same engine and same problem. Well I like to hear what the Blazer forum has to say thanks guys! I tow weekly a 2500 pound boat but the problem happened today going out of town without the boat. It shifts fine!

Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer has no power when full throttle.

Ok, here are my two responses through PM:
ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Did this just all of the sudden happen? Have you inspected your plugs for signs of a rich or lean condition?

Have you pulled the plug wires and re-seated them on to the plugs and distributor? I have come across some situations where the plug boot will actually trap air and the warmer temps will push the boot off enough to disconnect a plug wire, but not make it fall off of the distributor. To prevent this, take a small slender screwdriver and insert it into the end of the wire boot. Slide the screwdriver and boot over the terminal on the distributor cap until it's fully seated (the screwdriver doesn't have to be in very far). Then pull the screwdriver out. The boot should stay put.

If that's not the problem, I would take it to a muffler shop and see if they can do a CAT backpressure test on it to check for a partially clogged catalytic converter.
Response from Ivannj
ORIGINAL: ivannj
I have not checked the sprk plugs but just replaced them not to long ago with a-4 bosh. If it was the wires I would get quit a shake it happened before like you said. As the cat I don't know?!? I guess I check the plugs and cat tonight.. As for the cam can that be the problem as the mechanic said?
AND...
ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Cams usually don't just go bad that quickly. It is more of a gradual thing.

If you were worried about the cam, you could pull the valve covers. Using a dial indicator (a cheap one would suffice), measure the lift on each valve.

You could also run a compression check, although that may not tell you much about the cam lobes, it may point somewhere else, and wouldn't require much disassembly.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

well this is a simple check and I know it's a common thing on these blazers... check that PCV valve....:P
I could be off on this but.... if it's got a partial clog it might not throw an error "YET" but be just enough to make it start boggin' like HELL... (did to me) and it's a really simple check.... and it won't hurt anything to just go ahead and clean it out (take ya all of 5 min) and will prevent it from becoming a problem in the future if that's not the prob..

Good Luck and keep us posted.... we ALL learn from others.... and your BEST resource is that guy/girl on the other side of your monitor...:P

Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 AM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point

my cars got that kinda lag too...its a new engine and after i got it put in i notice some lag...like the blazers working too hard to accelerate but it was minor so i didnt really pay much attention to it....i dont know too much bout the mechanics of it so a lil detail bout the pcv valve where it is and how i can clean it out would be appreciated cuz if its easy id like to get my truck back to where it was.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:11 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

PCV costs like $3 and is located in one of hte valve covers. It about 1" in diameter and about 2" long. If you suspect it, replace it.

As for the problem, "Bosch" replace with AC Delco and see if that don't fix your problem.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:12 AM

If it is the cam is it ok to drive it daily till I get my new cam in?

Old 08-01-2006, 03:13 AM

If it where the pcv valve the engine would not rev to 5000 rpm smoothly.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

Good call Hanr3,
I've heard from SEVERAL people these 4.3's in particular are REAL fussy about wanting AC Delco plugs....:P

Old 08-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My Bravada loves 10% ethanol mix. The first few tank fulls of the stuff may cause some noticable issues as it cleans out the crud left in your lines by the regular gas. If you suspect a fuel issue, I would keep running the 10% ethanol and throw in a can of Chevron w/ Techron at the next few fuel fillups. The E10 will help the fuel system cleaner do its job and over a few tanks should clear up any issues.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Get Those BOSCH plugs out of there! I changed my ORIGINAL delco plugs, wires,cap and rotor at 101,000 miles right after I bought my blazer from my brother. Yes 101K and the only thing wrong was slightly poor fuel economy. These are platinum tipped plugs and the electrodes were worn badly but no missfiers! Any secondary ignition system that will last that long will be replaced with the exact same thing in my cars!! And as someone said earlier not only blazers but all cars run best on original eqipment. I now have 128,000 on my truck and have had no missing...and get 20MPG every tankfull.

Quick Reply: Blazer has no power when full throttle.