General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Blazer has no power when full throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Blazer has no power when full throttle.

I would check the plugs and wires, maybe clean the EGR valve out with some intake cleaner.

Back in high school I installed the terrible Bosch Platinum +2 (they had just come out, didnt know much about them), they were ok for about the first 6 months, but detonation soon got terrible. I just changed them back out for the stock AC Delco's, part CR43TSM and it runs like a champ again. No detonation at all. If anyone wants pictures of the Bosch plugs, I'll send them to prove how bad these plugs are. One electrode white, the other black and covered in gas. Proves that they only use one electrode over time, path of least resistance. Plugs 1 and 2 had stuff building up on them as well. Out of the 6 plugs, 1 looks like it might have used both electrodes at some point in its short 20K miles of use. I'm going to send the Bosch plugs to their headquarters or something, to show them these things don't work, I think I'll even leave them in the AC Delco box

Old 08-01-2006, 05:57 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not the plugs I would have irratic movement. It is not the fuel I use Sea foam regular and engine revs fine in park and nuetral. Its when I am driving and try giving it gas or going up a hill that it will not go. Feels like it is slipping. Plugs will not do such a thing nor gas or wires. The only things that I know for sure is the tranny. It shifts fine. It sounds louder to when is starts slipping hearing the intake the most. Sounds like it is clogged as well. Name that problem. This like a game show where you have to guess the problem from the symtoms I give.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:11 PM

I am still going to check them out and will post a picture of them asap!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

It does sound like your torque converter might be slipping some. But it would have to slip a lot to feel like towing 10 tons.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:15 PM

Pics of plugs

[IMG]local://upfiles/1290/54E88099FA8E4087A8BC3D07D2D0255D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1290/670FF970167C416497468353C5727A34.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1290/8F36A12402CD4F22B9FA57147BA3B4FB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my blazer back in March and it had about 80k on it.... it now has about 85k on it.... and that's 1000 miles drivin' from Florida to Canada. Then her just puttin' around in town here no real longdistance driving it's lucky if it gets truly up to temp most of the time. bought new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires and was gonna change them 2 weeks ago and pulled one of the plugs out and it didn't look NEARLY like that on my AC Delcos. Just a bit of toasty lookin' brown on them. Which leads me to believe it's runnin' pretty good. And I run the cheap fuel in it. I don't think mine's runnin' lean cause it does run NICE a cool all the time. No pre-detonation or knocks or pings or nuttin'.... Damn thing runs like a TOP! I'm not sayin' that IS your problem.. I'm just sayin' mine don't look NEARLY that bad... how many miles are on those plugs??

Old 08-01-2006, 08:37 PM

5000 miles max and I did two Sea Foam treatment through TB and run it in the gas freaquent.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Starting Member

hmmm.... those look kinda nasty to me man....:/
I could be wrong.. but comparing them to what mine looked like.... that'd DAMN sure be the first place I'd start....

Old 08-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Those plugs look horrible! Comparing them to my 75k mile old AC Delco double platinums, makes my delco's look BRAND NEW! Something definitely isn't right.

Also, it is recommended to change your plugs after a seafoam intake cleaning. I'd also like to add that a failing ignition coil can cause a loss of power and it would be more noticeable at higher engine loads. A weak spark will still ignite the fuel, but won't promote the full flame front like a hot spark does. No load rev'ing will not show this.

Have you taken it to a muffler shop to have the exhaust backpressure checked?

Another thing I thought of was to check your timing. It is possible that the gear on the bottom of the distributor has worn and is causing the timing to be retarded to the point where the PCM cannot advance it enough to run properly. If it were my truck, I could check it with my scan tool to see what the commanded advance is and compare it to the actual advance.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Starting Member

What scantool do you use... just curious...:P

Quick Reply: Blazer has no power when full throttle.