General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coming Up To 60k

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:10 PM
flyshychick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Coming Up To 60k

Oh you better believe im gonna!!!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 12:35 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

My recommendation based on 60K and you have owned it for 2 years.

I gather you do regular oil and oil filter changes.

All of that being true.
Here is what I recommend.
Take it to a shop you trust and get a front end check, exhaust inspection, tires balanced and rotated, and a brake inspection. If the shop is reputable and you trust them, they will tell you if your balljoints, steering, suspension, brakes, tires, and exhaust are in good working order. This is even worth some money if you cannot find a shop to do it for free. Most alignment shops will do a free front end inspection. Decent tire shops can do brake inspections while the tires are off.

As for maintenance items.
New air filter, new gas filter, and a tranny flush. Get the suspension and steering greased while they rotate the tires, or if your oil change place does it.

As for the tune up, you can wiat another 20,000 miles. 60K isnt really a lot of miles. 4 years of average driving.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:15 AM
93s15jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

if you keep up on the schedualed maintaince, and fix what needs fixin' and not let it go for so long, the vehicle will last forever.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:40 AM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

well the thing is.

The previous owner SUCKED. he didnt take care of this at all. So I assume the worst up to 22k (thats how much was on it when i got it)

I do change the oil on time every 3k

I also change the filter everytime and I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30
I have an aftermarket exhaust so does that need checking? its a Cat-Back

So all thats set

Old 09-29-2006, 06:14 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I apologize for letting loose on ya but I have a 24 year old daughter who acts the same way. Does not take care of her car or mine when loaned to her. Every car she has had for any time has died of coolant failure/overheating. There is a trend with her lack of maintanence.

So now back to your issues it does not matter how the previous owner treated the car you can and should do better, I tend to buy my cars with at least 60K+, since by that time most of the bugs should have been worked out and paid for by the previous owners and I should have relatively small fixes to make. Generally tune-ups oil changes, etc. And to this day I have had pretty good luck. My previous truck 1989 Nissan Hardbody lasted me 240K before I rebuild the engine and it really did not need it at that point but is was showing faint trails of blue smoke in the exhaust in the morning so at minimum it needed a valve job, but I wanted to increase horsepower so i had it totally rebuilt. And it lasted another 28K+ before the rebuild failed.

So keep changing the oil and do tune-ups when they need them just look at the owners manual for scheduled maintanence timeframe.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:31 AM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

lol No need to appologize man.

It's cool. I know i do dumb stuff with this truck. (I have that mentality "Oh I'll Just Get Another" stuck in my head) I need to lose that mentality. I paid this one off. That was my main goal. So some things slipped for me :-X

^No excuse Still lol.

I always thought They checked it for you when u take the truck in for oil changes and all.

See thats me being young and nieve taking over.

Wow im rambling. damn ROTM writeups keeping me up all night!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree /w Hanr you could probably put off the tune up for now, our plugs are supposed to be free from defects up to 100,000 miles. But I wouldn't let it go that long. I would though go ahead and change out that fuel filter its only 10 bucks and it could save you big time in repair someday. Within the last 60 days I put one in my bros 03' Blazer and my buddies 00' S-10, very straight forward procedure but not one I wish to do again. I can understand why the shops around here want 600-800 to do it. Anyways a plugged filter could eventually burn up the pump, as well as, consistenty running the truck low on fuel as the fuel works as a coolant.