General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Creak Creak

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:48 AM
97blazer44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Creak Creak

Ive been hearing a creaking noise latley in the front passanger side of my 97 Blazer, it doesn't seem to do it when I push down on it just when the car goes from side to side. also I know that Blazers take bumps harder then a car but how much should it bounce after you push down, is it still 3 times like a car or does it bounce more. The shocks are about 3 weeks old front and back, I had them done at Midas and I was wondering if I should take it back, because the first week them seemed to ride a lot nicer then they do now! And I dont go offroading so that didnt cause me to mess them up

Old 06-02-2006, 02:38 AM
97blazer44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Creak Creak

Never mind a question like that could be a dozen possible problems, im gonna take it to Midas tommorow to have it checked over since I live in wonderful apartment buildings where you can do nothing besides park!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

ahahah... i feel your pain!! i recently inherited a noise in my truck, and i have GOT to find it. its on the driver's side and its an obnoxious squeaking. Its basically driving me nuts. Soooo that's the plan this weekend, find THAT and shut it up!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may have gotten a defective shock. My Monroe Reflex shocks up front don't bounce at all unless I really launched off of something. Bumps or recessed man hole covers result in a impact shock that is much more noticable than with my old wornout original shocks, but VERY little body movement, unlike the originals. I have Monroe Sensatrak with load assist shocks on the back which add 250lbs worth of spring rate to the rear which makes it ride a bit more rough when unloaded.

Anyway, back to your creaking noise. It is most likely dry sway bar mount bushings. You can remove these and grease them up with a high silicone grease (which doesn't attract dirt) and they should be quiet for a long time. That should be a quick easy fix if that is what is going on. The reason why I presume that the sway bar mount bushings are at fault is because your statement on how it only creaks when you have side to side motion. Now it should also creak when the whole front end dives/lifts (braking/acceleration), but it might be the weird forces on the sway bar while it is twisting. During cornering the suspension on the outside of the corner compresses and the inside extends because of body roll. The sway bar tries to limit the body roll by connecting the suspension side to side. It basically acts as a torsion spring that adds spring rate to the wheel on the outside of the turn while taking that same spring rate away from the wheel on the inside of the turn.

Hope that helps! If not, you only spent around an hour and less than $5. Simple things first... We can work from there.