General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Draining Gas Tank on 95' 4x4 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 PM
jaykeMURD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Draining Gas Tank on 95' 4x4 Blazer

So I finally discovered the fuel pump is the culprit to the horrible engine performance.

I've done this proceedure before; dropping the tank and replacing pump, etc. But there's just one catch. The fuel tank is well over half full. 60-70% full, if I had to guess.

I really need to get to this now, we can't afford to be short a car!

I know in some vehicles there is a drain plug on the tank itself? Is this true with the Blazer? If not, what's the easiest way to drain it?

Unhook a fuel hose? Which one were?

Bah! Thank!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:46 PM
MsRandi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Draining Gas Tank on 95' 4x4 Blazer

I dont think so. have you tryed sifoning the tank

Old 07-12-2006, 04:26 AM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt you'll be able to siphon, as there is likely an anti-siphon ball in the hose right before it connects to the tank. You'll have drop the tank slightly and slide one of the hoses off and then pump or siphon the gas out.

But do it, as a half full tank will be far heavier than you want to deal with.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:39 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had the same problem, I ended up siphoning close to 15 gallons out of my tank to finish the job. I thought maybe I could manage the tank full but quickly discovered that I'm not good at bench pressing 200 pounds with one hand while trying to turn a ratchet. What I did was to remove the nut holding the forward strap and the bolt holding the rearward strap and tug on the tank until it was hanging down at an angle, then I removed the two rubber hoses going to the filler neck and siphoned out of the smaller opening. The empty tank was pretty easy to manage at that point.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

If your pump still pumps, disconnect the fuel line at the fuel filter. Fill up whatever you can find.

Gas weighs roughly 8 pounds per gallon. 10 gallons is roughly 80 pounds. I personally lay on my back and use my legs to hold the tank in place. Then let it slide off my legs/feet and onto carpet or cardboard.
Another option is a floor jack with a board on top. Takes two people to lower it, one to operate teh jack and the other to balance the load on the jack. Cover the floor with carboard or carpet. Dropped tank might go boom boom.

And last reost, bend the straps. Remove the bolts from one side and pull hte tank down bending the straps. You will have to unbend them before you put the tank back in, or replace them. I prefer the other options.

You could get a siphon kit and take the fuel filler hose off at the gas tank. Then siphon it out that way. The anti-siphon ball is in the filer hose.