General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Water poured out of the dash! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:33 AM
drefda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water poured out of the dash! Help!

Yesterday, I got in my Blazer (96 4dr 4wd) and I made a right turn. As I was turning, water started pouring out of the bottom of the dash and onto the carpet on the passenger side. It wasn't antifreeze, it was water. Like a cup or so. It was raining heavy but that should not have anything to do with it. When I turn on the a/c sometimes I get a weird odor. The window fogs slightly sometimes but not to the point where I have to wipe it. I have a feeling it's the Heater Core but I am not sure. I've had cars where the heater core was leaking and I don't get the same exact symptoms. Like I said, water poured out and not antifreeze. It has dexcool and what came out was clear with no odor. I don't want to damage anything but the core replacement looks like one hell of a job. What could it be? Do I have to take my dash apart? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Water poured out of the dash! Help!

Have you ever had your windsheild replaced? I just ask because this exact same thing happened to my wife's BRAND NEW Malibu. I backed it out of a parking spot on a pouring rainy day and about a gallon of water poured out from under the dash on the passenger side and it was caused by an incorrectly installed windsheild.

Anyway, it could also be a blocked drain on the A/C evaporator housing. The best way to access this is to pull off the passenger side inner fender to have complete access, then using compressed air, blow up through the hole in the bottom of the case against the firewall. You could also pour water down into the air duct and see if it drains out properly...

As far as odor out of the vents, I had posted a fix for this awhile back... I'll have to see if I can find it...

*EDIT* - Here ya go:
A/C Evap Core Odor - Here's the fix!

Old 07-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

ORIGINAL: drefda

Yesterday, I got in my Blazer (96 4dr 4wd) and I made a right turn. As I was turning, water started pouring out of the bottom of the dash and onto the carpet on the passenger side. It wasn't antifreeze, it was water. Like a cup or so. It was raining heavy but that should not have anything to do with it. When I turn on the a/c sometimes I get a weird odor. The window fogs slightly sometimes but not to the point where I have to wipe it. I have a feeling it's the Heater Core but I am not sure. I've had cars where the heater core was leaking and I don't get the same exact symptoms. Like I said, water poured out and not antifreeze. It has dexcool and what came out was clear with no odor. I don't want to damage anything but the core replacement looks like one hell of a job. What could it be? Do I have to take my dash apart? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew I put my beer down somewhere, just couldn't remember where. sorry.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: hillbillyinOhio

I knew I put my beer down somewhere, just couldn't remember where. sorry.
my god... i think i finally figured out who our comic releif is going to be around here....

Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM
MsRandi is an unknown quantity at this point

My blazer is older but I have a hole were the botom vent cal rusted out. just in front of the windsheild.