General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 T10 blazer random stalling, and starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 01:15 AM
dragonsdeath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 T10 blazer random stalling, and starting issues

hoping you all may be able to help. we have a 96 T10 Blazer that has been having stalling and starting issues.
some times you can drive it and let it idle with no problems and other times it will just die on you when driving or when letting it idle in park. when it dies it can be hard to restart, but most of the time if you put it in park and pull the key out, wait a few seconds it will start right back up, it does die rather quickly again when acting this way thoe.

after much frustartion and there being no check engine codes we took it to PepBoys and had them run an engine diagnostic on it. only thing the computer picked up out of the ordanary was a random missfire. the mechanic also told me the fuel pressure regulator was leaking and he knew this because there was fuel in a particular vacume line that goes into the vortec, and that this could be causing the problems we've been having.

I'll be honest I know nothing about these engines Ive mostly dealts with and prefer early 90's or older v8 small block chevy's.

is what he told me true or not? and does any one have any idea what could be the problem?

EDIT: It has the 4.3ltr sfi Vortec

Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 96 T10 blazer random stalling, and starting issues

Here's the deal. You take your Blazer to a mechanic with and engine performance problem and guess what everybody hears. "Your fuel injection system is bad" My suggestion....start reading all the posts pertaining to your symptoms and use YOUR best educated judgement. There are at least 10 owners with similar problems posted in just the last month, mine included. Otherwise, get the checkbook out and start throwing money at it. That is what us Blazer owners seem to do best. I'm not being sarcastic, just honest. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:44 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

The mechanic is probably correct, because if you read threads on the forum about rough idle and hard starting. Some of them will make mention of the smell of gasoline under the hood. Use your nose and see if that is a correct diagnosis, it is free and will cost less than just throwing money after it.

But if you wait long enough the insurance will pay you for another car, I go to the junkyards and see more s10/t10's that have engine fires because of a leaking fuel regulator or spider. So you need to deal with this ASAP to avoid toasting your ride.

Here is a link to another thread with what a fuel leak looks like under the upper intake manifold. This truck is a little older than yours to the manifold is slightly different but the parts are similar...

https://blazerforum.com/m_41369/tm.htm

Old 10-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow that is weird. I stopped at one of the largest junkyards in New England today to get a wiper arm cover and spare wheel and they had 35 or 40 S-10 Blazers there and not one had engine fire damage. must be something special happening in your part of the country.
Why would you try to scare the guy into thinking his Blazer might catch fire? Not one member here has ever mentioned anything about an engine fire with their Blazers, no matter how bad they were running.