General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine whines while accelerator pressed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:57 PM
RedOctober is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine whines while accelerator pressed

Hi, I have a 1999 Blazer 4x4 LT. At idle, the truck sounds like any V6, from the inside. When I give it gas while in gear, there is a mechanical whining that sounds close to the firewall. The whining gets a higher pitch the more you accelerate, until the tranny changes gears, when the whine starts all over with a lower pitch. I was wondering if this is normal for a 4x4? transfer case noise, perhaps? I rode in a friends newer trailblazer, and hers made no noise at all. It is a very smooth sound, not grating in any way. Maybe it's normal, just tranny transfer noise? These older blazers arn't as soundproofed as the newer ones. My wife calls it the squirrel cage sound.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Engine whines while accelerator pressed

Hmmm....could be something. Kind of hard to tell from your description. Can you elaborate anymore? Is there anything else going on besides a whining sound? Do you have any other noises or vibrations or anything like that? Any indicator lights on? Is your performance at all sluggish or does your blazer hesitate or shift oddly?

Old 10-10-2006, 12:50 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I would suggest checking the transmission and transfer case oil ASAP.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:55 AM
EkStreem G is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^^^ DITTO^^^^^

Also, how's your 4x4 working?

Old 10-10-2006, 01:33 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: RedOctober

Hi, I have a 1999 Blazer 4x4 LT. At idle, the truck sounds like any V6, from the inside. When I give it gas while in gear, there is a mechanical whining that sounds close to the firewall. The whining gets a higher pitch the more you accelerate, until the tranny changes gears, when the whine starts all over with a lower pitch. I was wondering if this is normal for a 4x4? transfer case noise, perhaps? I rode in a friends newer trailblazer, and hers made no noise at all. It is a very smooth sound, not grating in any way. Maybe it's normal, just tranny transfer noise? These older blazers arn't as soundproofed as the newer ones. My wife calls it the squirrel cage sound.
Do a search on here for transmission whine. Hanr3 has a how to on transmission rebuild. His started with a whine he found out that the planetary/sun gear mechanism was not working properly and the trans had to be rebuilt.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:06 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

now, you don't hear the whine while turning the steering wheel, do you? Have you checked the power steering fluid, because it would whine when turning the steering wheel if it was low.