General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sticky accelerator pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:15 AM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sticky accelerator pedal

Once in a while, my gas pedal seems to stick. It happens when I let off the gas, then step on it again, it seems harder to press. Thankfully, it doesn't get stuck in the "open" position, for lack of a better word. Is there anything common that causes this?
Thanks.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:59 AM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Sticky accelerator pedal

yea go remove the air duct thing on top of the throttle body and open the butterfly valve and spray some carb/throttle body cleaner around on the walls and scrub with a tooth brush or someting...itll run like crap for a really short time but yea...thats all...

looks like i need to do this as well...

Old 10-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'll start off by asking the obvious... Did you make sure that your floor mat isn't getting in the way?

Ok now that that is out of the way, you could remove the throttle cable from your TB and move it back and forth. Then work the TB itself.

If you narrow it down to the cable, then look for kinks in the cable itself between the TB end and where it goes through the firewall. If that looks fine, go in under the dash (you'll have to remove a hush panel). See if anything is restricting the motion of the pedal from inside the cab.

If you narrow it down to the TB, then I would recommend removing the TB and giving it a thorough cleaning.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:08 AM
Beginning Member
billthegoat is an unknown quantity at this point

....I was going to suggest checking the floormat too. I can laugh because it's happened to me.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:55 AM

yea...go with what he said...haha im a nerd who wishes he knew what he was talking about...but it is a good idea anyways to clean ur throttle body...so post up with wat u find.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 AM
hdlogistics is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my Grand Marquis. I cleaned the throttle body and sprayed the heck out of the tv cable to loosen it up. Stopped sticking after all was cleaned. Use a good crab cleaner and it should fix it all..
[quote]ORIGINAL: magnum434

Old 10-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: magnum434

yea...go with what he said...haha im a nerd who wishes he knew what he was talking about...but it is a good idea anyways to clean ur throttle body...so post up with wat u find.
Magnum, I was in no way saying your suggestion wasn't right.. In fact cleaning the TB should be a rainy day preventative maintenance item for all of us to help keep everthing working like it should.

It never fails that the obivous is overlooked.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:08 PM

No I mean I like what you said narrowing the options down...and your smarter...im going with you. I didnt take it that wrong. Looks like I have someting to do when i get off work though...hehe