General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Frontend dipping

Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frontend dipping

Ok so today I'm at a dead stop and I turn my steering wheel to the farthest right extreme to get out of a parking lot and I notice that when I get to JUST before the limit on the wheel bein' turned that the entire frontend dips and I'm talkin' noticeably... so I scratch my head and turn it all the way to the left... and same thing in either direction and it's not just one side dipping.. it's the whole frontend "tucking down" for lack of a better term... AND it almost feels like the frontend of the truck kinda moves to either side when I turn... I do have a sway bar and the bushings don't look bad or anything granted they're not really compressed at all... and.. as I was backing up with the wheels turned I hear a pretty previalant *POP* come from under the driver's side....could this be a ball joint?? I'm not real sure as to what exactly that assembly does??? I haven't had much experience with frontends... so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..also could someone explain the exact workings of the ball joints and what/how they connect as it might help me troubleshoot this down a bit better...

Thx for the help,
Aqua

Old 09-07-2006, 03:05 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Frontend dipping

Pop is probably lower ball joint. That is what my Blazer did before I replaced both lower ball joints. If you jack up the front end from under the control arms and either from under the truck or have a friend move the wheel assembly and watch the ball joint for movement. If it is popping you will definetly see it move, when I checked mine the drivers side ball joint acted like it was ready to fall apart. I ordered the lowers from Summit Racing and replaced them ASAP

Old 09-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Frontend dipping

the "dip" you are describing is caused by the caster in the front end alignment and is normal, though it may be exaggerated if you have worn ball joints.

the spindle is the part that your brakes, brake rotors, and tire attach to.
the control arms connect the spindle to the frame of the truck. there is an upper and a lower control arm. if you look under the front, the lower control arm is shaped like an "A"
the ball joints connect the spindle to the control arms and allow them to spin (steer) freely.
hopefully thats enough of a description for you to see what the ball joint is in there...

here is a post describing how to check your balljoints: https://blazerforum.com/fb.asp?m=37759