General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel pump? help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:51 AM
keithscianna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump? help

Got up to go to work and my 91 blazer would not start. Turns over but when i took off the air cleaner i did not see the 2 streams of gas that normaly shoot throught the TB while its cranking. I am thinking fuel pump, any ideas??
thanks,
ketih

Old 10-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Default RE: Fuel pump? help

I found a new pump for 50,
How easy is it to install? Can you guys give me some tips and pointers?
Thanks,

Old 10-06-2006, 05:37 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

First turn your key to the on position (dont start) you should hear the pump if it is good. If not ck all wiring (aka jiggle test ) and fuses.
If all is ok then you have a bad pump, I have a'90 and my pump is in the tank, if yours is the same, then $50 is the wrong pump/price. You will be looking at around $200. The pump and sending unit are all one. As for DIY it is not high on the fun scale but is possible just take your time.

If you hear your pump, ck the filter first then the injectors.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:44 AM

thanks,

Old 10-07-2006, 03:39 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure his is $200?
On the older TBI units the pumps push less fuel pressure, and thus are less expensive. Its the sequential, multiport, and CPI units that push high fuel pressures and have high fuel pump costs.

There are hoses attached to the top. The only way to remove them is to tip the tank.
There are electrical wire atached to the top, again tip it to remove. Plus one is a ground, ir the bolt in the frame is rusted up, cut it and splice it back together, or replace it altogether.
Gas weighs 8 pounds per gallon. 20 gallons is 160 pounds. 5 gallons is 40 pounds. A lighter tank is much easier to deal with.

I prefer to lay on my back, cup the tank in the crook of my ankles/knees. Use my hands to remove the botls holding the straps in place and use my les to carry the weight. Then let the tank slide down my legs and ontot the floor, actually apiece of carpet. I have this thing about electrical sparks and gas fumes. [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Being a '91, more then likely you will need new strap bolts. Grade 5 or 8 is plenty strong.
By the way, heres a link to my '87 tank work.
clicky
Thers more info in there.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:44 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

You know oddly enough I thought the older TBI did use the mech. fuel pumps which $50-$100 (depending on brand) for a replacement is right. On my blazer as I found out when I replaced the ball joints and did a wire repair, nothing was as it was said to be. totaly different setups and even though I have the older TBI my pump is in the tank[].

Shoot, It figures I would have to have a franken blazer. Guess I'll have to chill on my advice.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:04 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

All TBI engines (at least G.M.) use an in-tank pump, which IS available seperate from the sending unit and usually cost around $35.00 at the part store. You will also want to buy a new filter, strainer (or sock) that goes on the inlet of the pump to keep rust/dirt out of the pump, and a pair of strap bolts like hanr said. That being said it IS QUITE POSSIBLE that you will need a sending unit and possibly fuel lines due to rust at the top of the tank area. I would advize you to soak the fittings on top of the tank and at the fuel filter with some good rust penatrant a couple of times BEFORE you even attemp to loosen any of these fittings. But these pumps very seldom fail due to the low pressure they provide (only 9-13 P.S.I.).

Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: tom1337

You know oddly enough I thought the older TBI did use the mech. fuel pumps which $50-$100 (depending on brand) for a replacement is right. On my blazer as I found out when I replaced the ball joints and did a wire repair, nothing was as it was said to be. totaly different setups and even though I have the older TBI my pump is in the tank[].

Shoot, It figures I would have to have a franken blazer. Guess I'll have to chill on my advice.
Nay Tom, your advice was sound. Check wiring, etc was all applicaple. You were just a little confused on the pump part. Besides, if you have it wrong, someone should step in and help clarify things. I make mistakes too and look for others to catch them. Like Lastcoupe. Guy is a wealth of info. I am glad he is here. He posted up some things to compliment what else was posted. More good info to make his repair work much easier.