General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 AM
rmbulk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel tank

1994 S-10 fuel tank leak. Want to replace the tank. Seek sources for how to and advice. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: fuel tank

Well why does the tank need to be replaced? Also you can get one from a junk yard or you can go to www.junkyarddog.com and do an online request form and have one shipped to you from a yard. Once you have it I would VERY STRONGLY SUGGEST you bring it somewhere to have it "boiled out" to get out anything that might be lurking in it!!! You dont want that stuff going through your engine!

After you've done this know its a heck of a job to get the tank out of some vehicles. I've seen it get VERY botched up.. so just be careful. I'm sure someone here can assist with that.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:20 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

If my tank ever started to leak I would seriously consider a different type of tank ie like the ones used in racing since they are about the same price as a new OEM but you have better choices for fuel pumps and sending units (less expensive)... so I would research Summit Racing's Online catalogue and others to see what is out there....for the price.....

Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

'94, you still have a steel tank?

If so, follow the link to my gas tank refurbish project. LINK

I used a product called POR-15. They sell a gas tank kit. Do a websearch for thier site.

Got any more questions. Post up.

Edite: On more thing, JB Weld will fix any holes you have in a metal gas tank.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:26 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tech tips for removing. Assuming this is a rear mounted tank.

There are 4 bolts, one electrical connector, one ground wire, and 4 hoses to remove.
Remove the plastic skid plate.
Disconnect the battery.
There are 2 straps on top of the gas tank, and 2 straps on the bottom of the gas tank. The two on the bottom have to be removed to drop the tank and there are 2 bolts in each strap. Once those are removed teh tank wont come out until you disconnect the hoses. The hoses go over the top two straps.

What I recommend is loosening the two bolts closest to the engine, remove the two near the rear bumper. Tip the tank and disconnect the electrical and hoses. Electrical should be straight forward. Soak the hoses with WD-40. This will soften the rubber so it slides off the fittings.

Gas weighs roughly 8 pounds per gallon. Once I have the hoses, electrical and rear two bolts out. I lay on my back, place the tank in my shins, and remove the last two bolts. I use my legs to hold the tank up. Once the last two bolts are out, I let the tank slide off my legs and out from under the truck. Place cardboard on teh ground so the tank doesn't slide on the concrete, you don't want a spark. Carpet works as well.

Fill up your lawn mower with the gas. Fill up any gas containers you have. Then fill up the gas tank with water. Yes, fill it with water. Fill it all the way to the top and let if over flow. You want all the gas out of the tank. The most dangerous part of gas is the fumes. If there is no gas in the tank, then the tank will be full of fumes. Now if you fill it with water, you remove both the gas and the fumes. Flip tnak over, drain, and let it dry. Then you can safely dispose of tank or work on it.

Anything else, post up.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 PM
rmbulk is an unknown quantity at this point

That's exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for your help and your technical expertise. Regards,