General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

The hangers for a trans cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:39 AM
haubritches is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The hangers for a trans cable

I have a nut and a bolt left for the two hangers on my transmission cable I replaced. Where does the bolt go back into? Wasn't watchin' when my buddy took it apart.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The hangers for a trans cable

Need a lot more information before anyone here can even attempt to answer that question.

Things like vehicle year, engine, transmission (man or auto), drivetrain (2wd or 4wd), and options pertaining to the information requested.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:52 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Yeah, like which end are you refering to?

Old 03-22-2006, 03:16 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take a guess.

Gonna guess you have a 4L60E tranny, and your truck is newer then '95. Cable shift linkage after '95, and should be a 4L60E by then.

The cable has a black thing attached to the tranny end, behind that is a metal plate that attaches to the tranny. Two bolts hold it in place, one of those bolts cna be seen real easy and is on the end. The other bolt hides behind two of the wiring connectors. Look for a hole in the metal plate. I found it best to feed the bolt into the hole from above, behind the wiring harness. Do not take the wires out of hte harness, they are like waxed in placed and the typical outcome is breaking the black thing, which I have forgotten the name ans is like $150 for a new one. Work the bolt in there, and use a open ended wrench to screw it back in place. Takes forever, but doable.

At the end of the cable that attaches to the shifter in the tranny it has a slotted hole that fits over the shifter rod. The nut holds it in place, should be 15mm if I remember correctly. The black thingy goes on first.

Is this what you were talking about?????

Now if this is a 4wheel drive, that shift cable will go under a skid plate below the t-case. Teh skid plate is black and goofy looking, 2 nuts hold it in place and there is only one way to get it on the two bolts. Look at the wear marks on the rubber insulator around the cable. The wear marks are like flat spots. Should be self evident. Post up if you still have quesitons and if this is even remotely close to what your asking for.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tim! I knew that you'd have more insight into this. I was going to assume '95+ simply due to the "shifter cable", but never having had mine out, I really don't know what it entails to remove/reinstall one and where a bolt/nut can be left off.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

It was only a guess. some what from expierence. However there is more then one way to skin that cat if you will. Still need the rest of the vital info to make an educated guess.