General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

headlight /dimmer switch problems

Old 07-26-2006, 01:02 AM
blazerxtreme1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default headlight /dimmer switch problems

so i've been having problems with my dimmer switch not running my dash lights so I messed with it alittle figured it was just the switch so I went on ebay purchased a new switch. The seller sent to off the next day(tracking number) from florida so i wait and wait everyday looking to see where its at, so four days later I check to site it said delivered! but I never got it so after two weeks of calls and trips to the post office my package turns up... turns out they had it in the wrong mail box the entire time(vacant) so I installed the new switch everything worked great but when i got off work tonight it doesnt work, again!! but it does light up the dash lights when the dimmer is all the way up with all the lights on inside please help [&o]

Old 07-26-2006, 01:06 AM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: so i'm starting to get really MAD!!

yea i have a similar problem with mine...messing with the dimmer switch messes up the car alarm the light and idk what else....i just dont mess with it anymore, cuz once i left it at a certain setting everythings fine but if i crank it up all the way or down low it messes with other things.....i just dont wanna invest the money to fix it

Old 07-27-2006, 02:05 AM
blazerxtreme1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: so i'm starting to get really MAD!!

i'm gonna give myself a bump

Old 07-29-2006, 04:45 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: headlight /dimmer switch problems

From this information it looks like the problem is either the switch or a poor ground to the dimmer switch.
The last resort would be the BCM.

Lamps which may be dimmed. This group may use a combination of vacuum fluorescent (VF) illumination and incandescent lamps.

Automatic transmission controller indicator lamp switch
Automatic transmission preference switch
Front fog lamp switch
Headlamp leveling switch (Export)
HVAC control head assembly
Inflatable restraint IP module switch
Instrument panel cluster (IPC)
Radio and remote tape/CD player
Rear fog lamp switch (Export)
Rear wiper/washer and endgate/liftgate window release switch
Rear window defog switch
Steering wheel radio controls
Transfer case shift control switch
Overhead driver information display module
When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the radio and driver information display module vacuum fluorescent (VF) displays turn on at maximum brightness. When the park lamps are on, all incandescent backlighting turn on at the dimming level indicated by the IP dimmer switch. At the same time, all vacuum fluorescent (VF) displays are controlled by the BCM to match the indicated IP dimmer switch dimming level. Battery positive voltage is supplied from the PARK LP fuse in the underhood fuse block to the headlamp and panel dimmer switch and to the ILLUM and STR WHL ILLUM fuses located in the IP fuse block. The IP panel dimmer switch potentiometer receives both its voltage and ground from the headlamp switch and is also an input to the BCM. When the driver selects a dimming setting by moving the IP dimming switch potentiometer, all incandescent backlighting lamps are provided with a specific voltage. The incandescent backlighting lamps are then grounded at G200, G203 and G206. When the IP dimmer switch is moved from MIN to MAX, all vacuum fluorescent (VF) displays, as well as all incandescent backlighting respond from minimum intensity to maximum brightness in response to the IP dimmer switch.
It looks like 2 of the grounds are located under the glove box area and the other is on the back of the instrument panel.
At least 2 of them are in wiring harnesses clumped in with a bunch of wires. You could try getting a hold on the harmess and giving a tug to see if it improves the ground and the dimmer works. If it does, great, but that's just temporary and you will have a better idea of what to look for..Sorry for such a long post.