General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP with ball joint replacement, and halfshaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 05:51 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: HELP with ball joint replacement, and halfshaft removal

ORIGINAL: frankjc

I see you are in Mass too, I am just a few miles north of you.
I think we might have to send frankjc a few miles south tomorrow!
Come on frankjc, you know you need to road test after cleaning a throttle body anyway...lol.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:10 PM
ejoy1220 is an unknown quantity at this point

Got out there this morning, after leaving everything to soak in some PB Blaster overnight, stuck the pickle fork in, a few whacks, and BAM! Upper ball joint disconnected Removed the knuckle and axle, and everything is back together with new upper and lower ball joints. The next on my list is the tie rod end [:@] Soaking in PB Blaster overnight had no effect, so now I am going to heat the $%t out of it, and hopit comes free. If it still does not, the tie rod end is in great shape, but has a pin hole in the boot, can I just replace the boot and repack the joing with grease??

Thanks for all the encouragement and help guys! My brother and his bank account appreciate it

Old 10-08-2006, 06:45 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

If you can buy a new boot, I don't see why you couldn't just replace just a boot.
Having said that, ya still need to loosen the tie rod sleeve to do the alignment.
You loosened the bolts at both ends of the tie rod sleeve and tried twisting the sleeve back and forth...right? (best done with the tie rod installed in the steering knuckle)
You can also use a small hammer to tap the sleeve in the areas where the tie rods are threaded in, to loosen the rust etc.