General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lexus help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lexus help!!

I know that this is the wrong forum for this, but being that there a lot of knowledgable people here when it comes to automotive issues, I figured that I would give it a shot. Here is my problem. A women that I work with owns a Lexus (not sure of the year) with 102K on it. Recently, she has been having trouble starting her car. When she turns the key nothing will happen. No noises or anything. She said that after turning the key say 5 or ten times, the car will finally start. She said that it is hit or miss. Sometimes it will start right up and other times it takes about 5 or 10 turns of the key to crank the engine. Also, when she goes someplace with it and stops briefly turns the car off then comes back and restarts the car after 10 minutes or so, the car will hesitate and stall out. She said that this only happens after the engine is warm and won't do first starting out. I'm thinking that she may have a problem with her computer. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:44 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Lexus help!!

Have her get the computer scanned for stored trouble codes. I am sure there are some since this is happening after the car warms up. Autozone and some other places will do it for free. Then take that information to a local mechanic to make the proper diagnoses. The problem could be something simple as cleaning the EGR valve or replacing the Gas cap. So start with a computer scan and go from there.

And it will be cheaper in the long run, rather than replacing parts until you actually find the problem.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:25 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

The first problem sounds like a bad starter motor to me....that is almost always the scenario when a Toyota starter goes bad (hit the key a dozen times and it finally turns over and starts). You can get a test light hooked to ground and probe the small wire on the starter solenoid when someone hits the key to verify this...if it lights the test light and doesn't crank the engine...then the starter is bad. The second problem you mentioned sounds like either a leaking (internally) fuel pressure regulator or an injector leaking into the cylinder. Sorry I never work on anything but G.M. so that is what I would look at if I had the same concern on a G.M. car or truck.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Starting Member

I will tell her what you guys have said. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for you help.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Starting Member

Okay,

She had a bad starter and a bad Idle Air Control. The dealer charged her $700 to fix. I told her that I would have done it for her for the cost of parts, but too late now. At least she can save some money in the future if she has any problems. Thanks for everyones' input.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:32 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Got to love these high class named TOYOTA's.

You go for a TOYOTA part and its 1/3 rd the cost of the same for a LEXUS
But they are the same part.

Starter $68 exchanged (shop charge $236)
IAC $38 (shop charge $120)

Time about 30 min w/ air tools

Shop charge $700 OUCH
Parts $356 labor $85 hr (they charge billable per their book)

actual cost $106 parts $42.50 labor

Now that is what I call RIPPED

Old 11-03-2006, 06:42 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

ouch.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:09 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: MNHawk

Got to love these high class named TOYOTA's.

You go for a TOYOTA part and its 1/3 rd the cost of the same for a LEXUS
But they are the same part.

Starter $68 exchanged (shop charge $236)
IAC $38 (shop charge $120)

Time about 30 min w/ air tools

Shop charge $700 OUCH
Parts $356 labor $85 hr (they charge billable per their book)

actual cost $106 parts $42.50 labor

Now that is what I call RIPPED

Actually the last time I changed a TOYOTA starter on a Chevy Prism the dealer's cost to buy it from Toyota was $326.00 ...the LIST price was $397.00 (that's what G.M. recomends the dealer sell it for) it paid 1.0 hours labor to install it (please don't hate on a technician that can beat the INDUSTRY SPECIFIED labor time....that's how we make our money). That's $469.00 plus tax (labor is $72.00 ph) just for the starter! Now add on another $72.00 (now up to $542.00 + tax) to diagnose not 1 but 2 electrical problems and a new Toyota IAC valve and labor to install it and I'd say she got treated VERY fairly!

Old 11-03-2006, 09:48 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I take that ouch back.

Congrats on a good deal!

Old 11-04-2006, 03:47 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

03 Lexus starter

Reman $107
New $189

Idle Air Control
New $69
Used $30

I don't hate those that have to up the price a little, but an simple ODB II scaner (or bearcat) can find these issues (standard fee most shops $30 to $80 to scan atleast the ones I deal with that have this equiptment).

labor for:
starter .4 hrs
IAC 1.3 hrs

Billable hrs (from most shops)
Starter 2.3 hrs
IAC 3.4 hrs

I think the rest can do the math.

I am not a hater of shops. I just hate how the INDUSTRY HIKES billable compaired to actual.
How would you like it if someone could do the job in 10 min, but charged you 2 plus hours for it?
And believe you me, I have quit many of shops due to this reason.
(some I quit due to they demanded that I make it so they would have to return for more service
within a mth or so, was told I would be fired if I did not do so. Sad part is that two of these were dealerships.)

You can flame me for this or even ban me from the forum, but I am only speaking the hard facts about many of shops out there.
Sorry its just not in me to sugar coat things. This is part of the real world out there, why hide the truth?

And seeing from some post here, most people know to try yourself if you can.
Cause you will save a bundle.