General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

motor oil

Old 08-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Beginning Member
geekdagr8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default motor oil

i have a noob question about engine oil here ....i have a 2000 chevy blazer 4x4....right now im using 5w-30....at the moment im havin a slight lifter or some pecking right side of engine....a guy told me if i use 10w 30 a higher grade oil that it could cut out some peckin?...anyone else heard of this before...im due a oil change in the next week....i just wanna know if i should use 5w 30 or 10 w 30 and also im going with synthetic....one other thing i live in Virginia so it doesnt get to terribly cold here...i heard if u live in a cold climate u need to use thinner oil.....can anyone give me some input on this....thanks alot for ur time ...

Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 AM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: motor oil

well honestly if u read your owners manual it tells u basically everything u need to know about your cars operating efficiency and what stuff to use.....for a long time now i had been using 10w 40.....i just recently switched to 10w30 cuz right on the oil cap it says use 10w30 lol

Old 08-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Beginning Member

but what about the ticking or pecking thing?...can changing grades of oil...help it?

Old 08-17-2006, 02:46 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, changeing grades of oil could help it.
Pick up a can of Sea-Foam. Give that a shot. You might have a sticking valve, changin grade of oil might stop the noise, but wont stop it from sticking. Then again it could just be ticking becuase the oil is too light. However running Sea-Foam thorugh it wont hurt it.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I agree with Hanr3.

Before your oil change, I would dump in about half a can of seafoam and run it for around 25-50 miles. The seafoam will clean out any deposits that may be causing things to hang up. You may also have a collapsed lifter, but we'll see how the seafoam treatment does ya. You can take the other 1/2 can and dump it down the intake right before you do the oil change to clean off the valves and pistons (get ready for a smoke show).

Seafoam is available at pretty much any autoparts store. Read the directions on the can and let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Beginning Member

ty guys...i appreciate the help