General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

my trans is leaking(UPDATE) Actually it the transfer case

Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 PM
rustybeast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: my trans is leaking fluid out the vent

Well I hope that solves the problem for you!

Old 11-20-2006, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully you didn't get any tranny fluid into your vacuum lines. If so you may be looking as some extensive work under the dash. The same vacuum line that runs to the t-case also runs into the dash to operate your vents. I wish you the best, but be prepared for the worst. You may be looking at a new head unit on the HVAC system.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:09 AM

Yeah, definatly something to look into. I spent a whole day cleaning out the lines and actuators on mine. I found that rubbing alcohol and one of those vacum pumps used for bleeding brakes worked pretty well. Just takes a lot to time to clean it all out but it is possible. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2006, 11:05 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Rustybeast,
Thats a good tip. I'll have to file that away back in the gray matter in case I ever need it. how did you do the cleaning?

Old 11-22-2006, 12:19 AM

well first I used the pump to pull a vacum on the actuators and hooked it up so that when the pump was released all the rubbing alcohol would be sucked into the actuator. ( I did this by attaching a hose to the little air vent on the pump.) Then I just worked all the fluid out of the actuators by pumping them down several times (and repeated until the alcohol came out clean) and then left them unhooked for a couple of hours to make sure all the alcohol was dried out. Lastly I hooked the vacum supply hose up to an electric vacum pump (out of an old fridge) and put all the lines to the actuators in a cup of alcohol, started the pump and cycled through the different settings to clean out all the lines and the controll unit. Like I said it took about all day to do but everything works great now. Most of the time spent was pulling the dash apart to get to everything. Lots of work but it sure beats buying everything new. That really adds up.