General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Remote hatch release broke.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 PM
LT1KICKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remote hatch release broke.

My remote hatch release broke. Actually, it wont open at all. Not with the button on the dash, keyfob, or exterior push-button. It makes a noise inside, but won't release the hatch. Any ideas what went wrong?

On a side note, I discovered that my right hand side defroster wiring has become seperated from the glass. Is there a fix for this?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Remote hatch release broke.

Do you have a rear liftgate (like a minivan) or is it a glass up / tailgate down arrangement?

Mike (MCas86) and I took his apart last night and snapped some pictures for this case. The internal structure of the tailgate limits the choices for opening the rear glass. There is pretty much no other way to open it other than drilling a hole and fishing around inside for the release. I'm going to update my post from awhile back with pics from last night and a run down of what needs to be done for the glass up / tailgate down setups (all 2dr and some 4dr).

Old 05-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I was able to pull interior plastic back enough to get the spring on the latch off, without breaking anything. then the glass was open, dropped the gate . then pulled out all the screws and noticed that there is a blue piece of plastic on the end of the release actuator. it broke in half. for a quick fix, I was just able to zip a new screw through it and the release. works perfect now, didn't cost me a thing.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 PM
MCas86 is an unknown quantity at this point

wait...so hillbilly, what did u pull back exactly? if u could, close it go inside and take a picture. im curious bc me n swart decided that the only way was to drill. just because u cant get to the 2 screws on the corners with it closed...

Old 05-17-2006, 06:07 PM
LT1KICKER is an unknown quantity at this point

My truck uses the glass up, tailgate up arrangement. I'm sorry, I should have specified glass and not hatch. It's the glass that will not release. I can open the hatch with the handle, but neither remote buttons or the push-button on the outside of the truck will release the glass portion. Is there not an easier way to remove the inside panal of the hatch to get at it?

Old 05-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you remove the screw from under the pull handle, you should be able to pull back on the trim and release the clips around the bottom. Then feel up inside for the stuff pictured in a thread I posted to awhile back (link below) and you should be able to release the glass. Be aware that there is a screw near the latch for the glass. If you pry out too far, you may break this loose..

Rear Window Rattle?

Old 05-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

will work on pics, but if you take out the two screws that hold the hatch pull out, it gives you even more room. On the back glass, you notice that where the window latch makes contact, its raised about three inches or so, the hump in the middle of the gate. the third pic on swarltkk's post mentioned right above. THe screw that he has circled is about an inch to the left and 1/2 an inch above the spring.

I was able to grab that plastic hump, and pull it back enough to get to the spring.

Old 05-18-2006, 02:06 AM
MCas86 is an unknown quantity at this point

good find