General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing the entire Vacuum System...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 04:12 AM
SniperX13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing the entire Vacuum System...

Well, I think my friend and I narroed down why he Blazer has so boggy acceleration and why it's almost non existent.

When you rev her engine, and let off of the accelerator, ir sounds like she has a blow off valve underneath her hood.... you hear a nice whoosh noise.

If you listen under the hood on the right side of the engine bay, near the oil cooler I think, it's a big mass of metal pipes going into a huge metal thingy. Anyways, in the vicinity of that area, you can hear a hissing noise.

So, we think there is a vacuum leak somewhere.

so, how much does anyone think that it would be to just get the entire vacuum system replaced?

it's a 1994 S-10 Blazer LT, with the 4.3L vortec. The engine has alot of miles on it, 191,749 to be exact.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:10 AM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Replacing the entire Vacuum System...

i would first check all the vacuum lines in the area, if one has a leak, you can replace it for a few dollars. replacing the whole vacuum system probably isnt neccessary, just the old vacuum lines are probably cracked/ broken.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:40 AM
SniperX13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I can understand that, but to save time and money looking for it, and to stop the inevitable, old lines breaking again..... it ould probably be better to just replace them all.

seems like it might be more cost effective in the long run.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if that is the way you want to approach it, you could get a good quantity of 1/8" vacuum line and an assortment of 'T's, 'Y's or whatever and just go at replacing all of the lines. If a larger size is required, get the larger vacuum line for that run.

You really won't find all of the lines from the dealership, not that you would want to go that route anyway ($$$).

So now are you asking how much we think it would cost to have a mechanic replace these hoses? Well... It depends on how fast the guy wanted to work. Replacing vacuum lines isn't rocket science, but it'll take a fair amount of time.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:08 AM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can buy vacuum line by the foot at most parts stores, just replace it one section at a time and it shouldn't be much more than an afternoon project.