General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Thinking about switching to mobil 1 oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
DavidBoone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about switching to mobil 1 oil

Who knows what the owner of my blazer put in it before I got it. Now at almost 80k miles I think I should be using something a little better. I used Mobil 1 in my Corvette and really liked the results. The oil lasts longer (5-6,000 miles) and is synthetic. I know what everybody says about switching oil brands and all that it can do. Have any of you switched over to synthetic from regular oil.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Thinking about switching to mobil 1 oil

I've done that with my Trans am. Thing is that once you go synthetic, it doesnt run right after on regular... unless you do a motor rebuild... thats just the results I have had personally. I dont know if theres a reason or if anyone else has had it... but this is what I've learned....also I'm going to move this to the tech forum.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:09 PM

TY, Dory.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I switched my Bravada over at 74k miles with no ill effects other than uncovering loose oil pan bolts that once tightened up, the leaks stopped. My next oil change will be in for atleast 5k miles before I have the oil analyzed, change the filter, and go from there. But I really need to find a new oil analysis lab that's close to where I am now... Really gotta get looking into that! LOL I'm getting close on the Bravada!

My Bonneville goes between 10-15k miles after an oil analysis tells me the useable life at 7-9k miles. I usually get to 9k miles before my oil life indicator in the car (based on revs, temp and other operating conditions) gets to 15%. But I also run the 4.3L oil filter on my Bonneville for the added 1" of filter material. The filter gets changed whenever I pull a sample of oil in the Bonneville.

The thing you want to make sure of when using synthetic lubricants is that you use a quality filter with them. That and you have to change the filter more frequently than the oil with synthetics. If you want peace of mind, change both every 5-7k miles.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

its all I've ever used in both of my cars with great results

Old 06-21-2006, 06:41 PM

switching to the mobil 1 next go round.