General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SEAFOAM

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:15 AM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SEAFOAM

I've been seeing all this talk about sea foam on this forum. What is it, Where can I get it, How much is it, How do I use it, When Should I use it, and Does it really work?

Sorry for all the questions but i figure I might as well ask!!

Thanks in advance

-Mav

Old 11-07-2006, 02:25 AM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: SEAFOAM

Most auto parts stores have it. It's around $5 something a can. Put some in the tank, run the rest through a vac. line. It really cleans out your engine good. Basically an injector cleaner. It got rid of a rough idle in my truck. It worked good for me.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem on the questions. I usually purchase it from Advanced Auto and I think it's around $5 per bottle. It can be used as a fuel injector cleaner when dumped into the tank (although I think there are other products better at this). As a motor oil flush when added to the motor oil - dump it in and drive for around 50-100 miles, then change the oil. And it can be used as a top engine clean (where I think it is most effective) by slowly pouring it through the throttle body.

To do this on the newer (96+) 4.3L engines, unplug the MAF sensor, disconnect the intake duct work on top of the TB, then with the engine running, slowly pour 3/4 of the can down through the throttle body while keeping the engine running with your free hand. Use the last 1/4 can to stall the engine and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Put everything back together and then go out and flog the crap out of it. Expect a smoke show if there is a bunch of carbon buildup. You'll atleast want to pull the plugs to check them and make sure that they are not fouled. You'll also want to change the engine oil after an upper engine clean with any product to ensure that it has not contaminated the engine oil.

GM also has their top engine cleaner to which I think works a little better and GM has their own fuel injector cleaner which I am partial to now seeing as how I have had fuel sender issues in my other GM vehicle ('01 Bonneville SSEi) and the GM fuel injector cleaner is supposed to have a special additive to clean the sending unit. Off the top of my head I cannot remember what the prices of either of the GM equivalents are though...

Old 11-07-2006, 02:30 AM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks alot swart for all the helpful info,

but what do you mean by using the rest 1/4 to stall out the engine?

Old 11-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Again, no problem, that's what we're all here for!

What I mean is as you pour the last 1/4 can into the throttle body, just allow the engine to stall. This will put a higher concentration of the product in the intake/cylinders and the 15-20 minutes is to allow it to soak in and be more effective at loosening some stubborn stuff. The longer the better. Just remember that it might be hard to start the truck after the soaking period...

Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Again, no problem, that's what we're all here for!

What I mean is as you pour the last 1/4 can into the throttle body, just allow the engine to stall. This will put a higher concentration of the product in the intake/cylinders and the 15-20 minutes is to allow it to soak in and be more effective at loosening some stubborn stuff. The longer the better. Just remember that it might be hard to start the truck after the soaking period...

Pour?

I always let the engine vacuum suck the stuff up then stall out that way.

Is it safe to just pour down the TB?

In response to the question, it works great, I use it often. As far as it working the the gas tank.......it works just fine on the bikes like that, cars have more surface to cover. Use the brake booster vacuum line or the PCV vacuum line to add it to the engine. If you put it in your crankcase(mixed with engine oil) be prepared to change the oil within 500 miles.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Administrator

I have used it with this method on every vehicle that I own and most of the ones my family owns with vertical facing throttle bodies. No problems with any of them. My Ram that was the first vehicle I used seafoam on is now over 200k miles (80k when I sold it to the current owner) and still running great.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:27 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I have used it with this method on every vehicle that I own and most of the ones my family owns with vertical facing throttle bodies. No problems with any of them. My Ram that was the first vehicle I used seafoam on is now over 200k miles (80k when I sold it to the current owner) and still running great.
Ok, I might have to try that method, I got alot of carbon build up still, its slowly going away but its still there.