General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

switching to synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I must be in for some bad luck.

It seems I switch back and forth between syns and conventional oils. Not every other time mind you, but I do switch. I will say that I can't tell any difference in MPG. I've been switching for the last 75,000 miles and haven't had any problems. I've probably used more synethics than conventional, but I haven't gone all the way to one side or the other.

Like a-tack said, we could all be old ladies or old men just wasting time. I'd prefer to think we're friends discussing a topic which does NOT have a right or wrong answer. That is why I posted the information that I did, it isn't mine. I'll admit to knowing the least about this topic and most others. This topic seems to be opinion based rather than fact based. And that is fine. I have enjoyed reading everybody's opinions and information.

Thanks for the discussion.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: I must be in for some bad luck.

Very true!

As it has already been stated in this thread, the switch to synthetic is owner preference.

One very good resource for all things oil related (filter's too) is BobistheOilGuy.com

Old 11-15-2006, 02:09 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

It all comes down to is OWNERS CHOICE

There are pros and cons posted all over the internet about this that and the other thing.

Boils down too this:

Standard oil: 3,000 mile change with filter (2000 mile if over 150k miles)
or you will toast your motor to an early grave yard

SYNTHETIC: Pending on the brand
Oil changes ever 7500 to 25,000 miles with oil filter

I use the 25,000 mile program with SYNTHETIC filter
5 qts 20-50 racing performance series synthetic & one EOA filter per change
$27.50 20-50 AMSOIL
$11.50 Filter AMSOIL
--------------------
$39.00 total

with standard that would be 7 oil changes at 5 qts each with filter
35 qts oil 5w-30 @ 3.43 each $120.05
7 GM filters @ 8.93 each $62.51
---------------------------------------
$182.56 total

I have engines with and without Synthetic. Honestly the SYNTHETIC saves me more money in Gas and Repairs. Aids to the performance and over all life of the engine (but I also run it in all areas there is a fluid need trany, axle, zerks, breaks)

Some people, as stated before the kid with the turbo motor blew up with synthetic (maybe that was the Royal Purple stuff), just have bad luck due to the brand.

So that point made its up to the owner to pick which they want to use. I look at it this way. Amsoil was for Millitary use only before, then it was released to the public (guess a new way for the millitary to make some extra money LOL) So I figured if its good enough for an F-14 or STEALTH, it should work wonders for my smaller toys.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:33 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

So yeah... i want to appologize for my posts last night.... for some odd reason whiskey makes me think everyone is trying to pick a fight with me..... anyways... my bad... im goin back to bed,,, my head hurts[:'(]

Old 11-15-2006, 03:37 PM

8 oz of water per shot you take helps with that.

Most dont drink enough other fluids to keep from getting dehidrated (hence hangovers)

Or do like the rest do, dont drink so much LMAO

Old 11-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, drinking while posting... LOL. Hope ya feel better Aaron!

Old 11-15-2006, 09:39 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Information I read - very long

this is starting to get kinda funny,but the reality is trial and hopefully not many errors. what ur used to, what ur truck has been running on, whatever worx and has been working; then stick with it. both are equally great and both have some cons(in comparison).

Old 11-15-2006, 10:44 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Now my head hurts.......lol

Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

so that explains the bad grammar a_tack, haha. "Hes got the Jack"

Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 AM

Thinks of back in the days of EverClear and MGD

WOW glad I don't sauce it up like that any more

Grabs the fishing pole and a few cases and (OH SHOOT they are still shooting bambie) guess that will have to wait a few more weekends.

Quick Reply: switching to synthetic