General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 03:16 PM
lovetheblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny problem?

Hi guys:
I want to know if this is normal...when I change gear from park to reverse or from drive to neutral to reverse, the truck shakes a bit...not that much but you can hear the tranny switching gears...it's sounds like, clack!, but not to loud...
If I change from neutral or park to drive I know that the change is made because of the rpm's, meaning that it switches way smooth and neat...it only does this when I change to reverse...
Is this ok, or what can I do to solve this?
Other than this, the truck shifts through all gears perfectly and even better at WOT...

Tranny fluid is 2 months old, tranny mount is 4 months old...

Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tranny problem?

Does the sound come from right next to you or alittle behind you (when you are in the drivers seat)?

I know that on my high (150k+) mileage S10 that I had, the rear end gears would clack when switching directions (forward to reverse or vice versa). It was just the backlash on the gears. If this is the case, it shouldn't be all that noticeable, but could be worse if the rearend lube is low.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:27 PM

I feel it like below the driver's seat...it is not loud, it's like when it engages the reverse and the truck takes more time to engage reverse than to engage drive...

Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked the U-Joints???

Old 03-09-2006, 02:20 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

First off, if it was a real transmission you WILL feel it shift, in any and all gears.

The soft shift (you don't feel it shift) is the worst thing in the world for the transmission. The only way to obtain this soft shift is to allow slippage in teh tranny clutch packs. Slipping clutch packs generate heat, they also wear them out. Both are real bad things.

You want a tranny with firm shifts. You want to feel them.

So to say it vibrates to me is saying it is a soft shift.

When I shift into first or reverse you better have your foot on the brake, especailly if your in 4lo. It will lurch while in 4lo. Not only will it lurch, it will drive away.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:55 AM

Well what I meant to say is that when it engages Drive it is nice and smooth but if you let the brake pedal go the truck will drive away...the thing is that it is smoother to engage Drive than engaging reverse...checked the u-joints and they look bad...

Thanks for your response...

Old 03-13-2006, 01:00 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

It is supposed to drive away. That means everything is in working order in teh tranny. If your getting a clunk noise, yea that could be the u-joint(s). Grab the driveshaft (with the engine off) and see if they have any slope in them, if so, replace. Get the type where you can lubricate the u-joints. Then lubricate them when you rotate your tires.