General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tranny Q "noise"

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny Q "noise"

Hi all

I'm changeing the trans filter and fluid in the girlfriends 96 Blazer cause it is acting up. My Question is, Should I use any silicone gasket stuff along with the cork gasket that came with the kit? Its all apart now and what a mess. Just changed the water pump on Friday as well, that was good and messy to. lol.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tranny Q

NO.
You will fry the tranny.

There is a hole in the gasket mating surface. If that hole gets plugged with gakset sealer you will fry your tranny. It is the 2/4band drain back hole. It must remian open.

The best thing to do is use brake cleaner and spray the tranny mating surface to remove all traces of old tranny fluid and leave a clean dry surface. Do the same ot the tranny pan. Clean off all the tranny fluid. Once both surfaces are clean, install the gasket. It won't leak. Toruqe to bolts to spec, like 13 pounds.

I highly recommend installing a tranny drain plug while you have the pan off. Next time its ready for a fluid change (next year) simple drain the pan, and refill with new fluid.

No need to replace the filter, the only thing it filters is tranny debris, and if the filter gets plugged from tranny debris, and new filter wont help, you need a new tranny.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:08 AM

Thanx Hanr3

I'm hoping that this fixes the prob, but I think the trans might be toast already.

Ok pan is back on, and fluid is full.
The tranny makes a bit of grinding noise still. It only does it in reverse. When it warms up it seems to be ok. Any ideas as to what this might be? stall converter maybe?

Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 PM

To the top. Anybody.[sm=helpout.gif]

Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you check the fluid after driving it for 20minutes, with the engien on and parked on flat level ground? Look at both sides of the dipstick.

If its grinding, you might be right. Save your bucks now and develope a plan to get a new one or junk yard special. If you go the used route, get a chemical to reduce tranny shock. When you dump new fluid in a tranny that has been sitting for a while you can shock the gaskets and lead to earlier failure. I did it on my '93 Astro van when I dropped in a used tranny with 80,000 miles on it. I drove the van another 100,00 with that tranny and never did a thing to it. By time I got rid of the truck it had 286,000 miles on it. Origianl engine and junk yard special tranny.

just to kill the cat, jack up the rear axle and spin both tires in reverse and see what happens, tanny in nuetral.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:32 PM
hdlogistics is an unknown quantity at this point

What about a bottle of Lucas Transmission fix? It's a cheap fix and it may solve your problem. It worked quite well for my tranny slip problem.