General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:52 AM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission Pan

I have decided to replace my trans pan with a stock depth one, with a drain plug, and add an aux cooler instead of the deep pan. My question is, are the pans for the 4L60 and 4l60E the same? On Summit racing, they are two different categories. This is the one I'm looking at buying... Pan -Click Its about as much as I want to spend on the pan, its the lowest priced aluminum one.

For the aux cooler I'm going to go with the Hayden/Imperial 7.5"x11"x3/4" and use the adapter fittings. Where do you think i should put it in the front, the best for cooling.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Transmission Pan

Why not just add a drain plug to your existing pan? They're only around $8 for the plug kit.

I have been thinking of just recessing a small area towards the back of my pan with the press, welding in a nut, and using a standard oil pan bolt w/ o-ring seal, but that pan isn't too terrible expensive... Hmm...

I have that exact trans cooler and I added it to the top line (which is the return line to the tranny IIRC) with the adapter kit. I mounted mine to the passenger side of the radiator in front of the condenser with the hose fittings pointing towards the passenger side. Hose routing is pretty straight forward.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:33 PM

i thought about adding a bolt to my pan, but then i saw that pan and its affordable. I saw your post about the line adapters, are the adapters for the feed and return lines, or just one? On the website it showed two different numbers under the adpaters pictured.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The adapter set included both of the adapters to splice inline with the radiator cooler, but after it as far as the fluid flow goes. One threads into the radiator, and the other threads onto the line that was threaded into the radiator. Both adapters having hose barb on them to hold the rubber lines. You could do the same thing by cutting your upper line, but then you risk the chance of blowing off a line because of the smooth tube. That can be couteracted by using two hose clamps though.

I'd have to look back and find the post you are referring to... Ah. found it. Anyway, both of the fittings come with that PN.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:29 PM

thanks, answered the question perfectly. i wasnt sure if it bypassed the stock cooler, or kept it inline, makes much more sense now.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

fyi, I bought that pan and it is 1/2 in shorter than stock, b/c of this I broke off a shift solenoid so becareful and take off that crossmember to make it easier. I returned that pan though and went to napa and bought the tranny plug for 5 bucks, I just wished I had done that in the first place

Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 PM

sounds like ill do the $5 tranny pan bolt kit then, its not worth the money if it doesnt fit right...