General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:54 AM
black19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vibration at idle

Recently I took my truck in for a tune up and had a ton of things fixed. Among them I had a cracked transfer case that I got fixed and the typical tune up things including electrical/wires. Since then I've noticed that when the car is at idle it vibrates big time. Loose items noticeably move, etc. It did not do this prior to the tune up/fix. Anyone have any ideas? I know I had a similar issue one time in an older car and found out some of the cylinders were misfiring and it was because some of the ignition wires/plugs were not installed correctly and it was causing the problem. Can anyone confirm or give me some ideas?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:00 AM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Vibration at idle

yea i had a similar problem....a mechanic checked my truck out and it was a loose wire...causing a missfire...take it in its a quick fix....

Old 08-10-2006, 02:41 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

maybe something got out of balance when they fixed the transfer case.

Old 08-10-2006, 05:24 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I would be looking at the plug wires first. It's possible that they aren't correctly installed. I doubt that the transfer case repair has anything to do with it. Have them put it on a scope and check the voltage spikes on the plug wires. You might find that one or more have high firing lines if they're not fully pushed into the cap or on to the plugs.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As Chevy Lover has said, I have noticed that A LOT of vehicles have problems with the plug wires trapping air when pushed onto the plugs and/or distributor cap terminals. The air that is trapped can push the wire enough to disconnect the contacts.

For quite some time now, I have taken an ice pick (or any long slender tool) and slipped it into the wire terminal while I slid it onto the distributor cap terminal. This allows an area for the air to escape. Then just slip out the pick and move on to the next one. I also use dielectric grease in each of the wire ends.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Starting Member
Aquahallic is an unknown quantity at this point

those flat coffee straws work GREAT too....