General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vortec Heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 05:53 PM
steiner_5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vortec Heads

I have a '91 Blazerwith a 4.3. I'm not sure if I have vortec heads or not. How can you tell? If I dont have vortec's can I put a set on without modification?

Old 02-13-2006, 01:54 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Vortec Heads

Well, usually you either have the 4.3 Vortec or the 4.3 TBI

The TBI has a large round air filter on top of an injector unit that looks like a carb

The Vortec has a large intake manifold on top and usually says "Vortec" in orange down the middle. Fuel delivery with the Vortec is more conventional, with 6 fuel injectors instead of one.

I know it's not the most technical response, but now you can pop the hood and go "Oh, it's...", lol

Old 02-13-2006, 03:07 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

It says Vortec on the plastic valve covers on my '01

Old 02-13-2006, 12:05 PM
steiner_5000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would I be able to put the vortec heads on my non-vortec motor?

Old 02-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: LoLoS10Blazer87
Fuel delivery with the Vortec is more conventional, with 6 fuel injectors instead of one.
This sentance is only correct for the '96-'03 4.3L vortec CSFI motors.

Found on another website:
VIN W, RPO L35:
Central Port Injection (CPI/CMPI). Manufactured from 1992-1995. It has central injection assembly mounted in the intake manifold which uses a single batch-fired injector feeding 6 poppet nozzels located at the intake ports. It has a dual-plenum manifold (upper and lower) with variable tuning with a manifold tuning valve to equalize pressure. The manifold looks much like that of an LT1, the throttle body is at the front of the manifold and goes to an intake tube with a filter box behind the left headlight. Vortec is written in orange on top of the plenum, which is black or aluminum colored.
190 to 195hp, 260ft/lbs

VIN W, RPO L35:
Central Sequential Fuel Injection (CSFI), Sequential Fuel Injection (SFI). Manufactured from 1996 to 2003. CSFI uses six individual injectors and a fuel pressure regulator that pulses fuel through six orifices through flexible nylon tubes. These tubes run to poppet valves at the intake ports. Manifold setup is similar to TBI, except it has one bore and one throttle blade. Air filter box is located behind driver?s side headlight.
180hp, 245ft/lbs (2wd pickups), 190hp, 250ft/lbs (Blazers and 4x4s).
In 2004, GM changed the configuration of the CSFI spyder to include 6 injectors at the ports and called it SMPI, but used the same spyder body. This removed the poppet valves used in the CSFI and the SMPI is, as I understand it, compatible with the earlier CSFI engines.

More to the point of the last post here. The only way to tell if they would work would be to match up the head gaskets, measure deck heights, bolt them up to a test motor, etc. All of which needs to be done way before thinking of running a motor with them. Things to look for are the correct alignment of coolant passages, piston to valve clearances, alignment of the intake manifold runners and coolant passages, etc. There are too many items to list, but if you had a good set of tools and some time, you could go to a junk yard and do most of the comparison yourself on engines in the yard.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:25 PM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Again Kyle, I bow before you [sm=hail.gif]

I knew that, but it's amazing what you forget after a few beers, lol.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. No problem.

I definitely know about that. There are many things that I'm sure I wanted to forget, but people keep bringing back pictures... UGH.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:51 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

In simplist form, ALL 4.3L engines are Vortec engines. They did make a change to the way the intake manifold bolts to the heads.