Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

is this actually any good???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default is this actually any good???

so i was just browsing around on ebay seein what they had and i came across this heat shield filter thing. is like a heat shield wrapped around the filter idk i think its retarted and prolly doesnt work but just was curious if it would work so here check it out

Old 01-18-2008, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: is this actually any good???

Any heat sheild around your filter will be better than none!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
SilverTalon is an unknown quantity at this point

I purchased an intake from those people and it came with a plastic thing around the filter and it was just there to hold a cheap filter on. When you remove the whole factory filter box and intake air tubes you'll be left with a LOT of room. I now have the same tube with an AEM reusable cone filter. The plastic thing seemed to restrict the air a little by allowing it to only come in from one point, and it caused the tip of the filter to clog fast. You'd be amazed how much clean air comes into the area around where the filter sits when you are moving, a "heat shield" really isn't necessary. I think that filter cover is more for looks than for function.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Um... A heat sheild IS required. Engine bay temps exceed outside temps in every s-series vehicle. The only way you would be able to tell is by monitoring the IAT sensor. Something which I have done. A heat sheild will not restrict airflow if properly implemented. What a heat sheild will do is limit the amount of air that will make its way into the intake after running through the radiator. Your assessment is driven by a cheap, poorly designed heat sheild.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

From the seller's blurb:
This WHOLE intake setup will replace from the Throttle body and not from the intake elbow. Please look at the auction picture and it will look nice than other product on the market for sure!!
Sorry, I don't buy from anybody who can't even use basic, correct grammar in their ads.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:03 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Yea I wouldn't buy from them either!! Besides I am one of the most impatient people in the world I don't like to order anything, I like to go to a store and buy it right then and there!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah I wouldn't buy it, it looks cheap and crappy, not going to gain anything with it and I don't see a place for you to put your MAF sensor in, which is critical to engine operation/performance/fuel mileage. And you definately want a good designed heat shield.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ya i was never gunna buy it but its just stupid things that people come up w/ for other non informed people to buy.

and ya lennyblazer i hate waiting! ground shipping is slow!! but i dont wanna pay that much to have it shipped next day. i just ordered a flowmaster super 44 muffler and its taking forever to get here!! well i think so atleast lol