Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Best 'bang for your buck' cold-air intake?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 AM
vagnozzi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best 'bang for your buck' cold-air intake?

eBay must sell a hundred different kinds of intakes for our trucks, can someone say one is better than the other, or one stands out from the rest? I don't wanna pay over $200 for a summit/k&n system, sorry I'm cheap! I see complete intake systems on ebay ranging from $25-$100.

Who's got one and is really satisfied with it? What brand/seller/etc?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
02 Vortech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Best 'bang for your buck' cold-air intake?

intake really dont do much for these trucks.... i guess the K&N or AEM intakes...... the AEM claims 11whp but it @ like 5500rpm and you shift before that so....

Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM
vagnozzi is an unknown quantity at this point

I was mainly concerned with improving gas mileage and having it breathe a bit better...what about in that aspect? Not looking for performance gains, it's a slug

Old 06-21-2007, 08:49 AM
ThirdCoast is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess would do the free air box hack.....i ordered a SLP for ~80 on ebay....

Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 AM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just installed a K&N. Definitely saw some gas mileage improvements in combination with a less-restrictive exhaust. (3-5 mpg) I would assume you should find similar results with one of eBay's cheaper knock-offs, but I can't say for sure.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:52 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Vagnozzi I feel ya there. Had some people badger me because they thought I was trying to make my truck into a racecar and all I said was "I just want to let it breathe better".

My handmade rig ($64 for supplies, all handmade) gave me a +2 mpg rating. Even driving on long stretches of the PA turnpike "trying it out" I was up to 19mpg (previously 17 when I'm on it).

Now that I have all the kinks worked out, it's nice to open the hood after a long ride only to feel the engine bay HOT, and touching my intake pipe and have it be ICE COLD. (ok, slight exaggeration, but in comparison to the engine bay it was frigid!)

Plus, at WOT it ROARS to life compared to stock, so much louder under the hood!

I'm going to implement the 'hypermiling' techniques that previously gave me 21 mpg overall (and that was with two burnouts) with the new intake and see what increases I get there as well. I don't do the crazy 'drafting' behind semi's, but basically being a little easier on the pedal, coasting to stop signs and red lights, keeping it between 2000-2500 RPM, and not jamming the gas when the light goes green goes a long way. Will keep you posted...

Next step is a free-flowing exhaust as well, but I can't make those myself and I don't have 3-400 to spend on it right now...