Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Best sounding muffler for the 4.3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nit8690
I have a magnaflow with a 2.5 in rear pipe and a rolled tip and it sounds really good. nice and deep but still agressive enough that you know its there. I like it and would recomend it to anyone
How longs the magnaflow? And any gain in performance?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Starting Member
jimhens82 is on a distinguished road

just put on a performance curve 2 chamber, and dumped it sounds sweet!!!

Old 09-22-2010, 08:56 PM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

I'd do only one pipe. That way it'll sound nice, and you wont be a dual exhaust faker. Whenever I see single in dual out, i look upon that vehicle with shame.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

How is that fake? Both pipes are functional, exhaust actually comes out of both. Believe it or not, it actually sounds different than a single exit as well. I see your Blazer has no cat, that's a federal offense and you're polluting the air, should I look upon your truck with shame?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

A single in/dual out system can actually add torque and increase mileage - IF the system is properly designed. I've been considering a single in/dual out system and discussing it with my friend at the muffler shop for a couple of months now. In the end I didn't want to invest the money into the system, so decided to go with a Gibson cat-back system instead. I'll be installing it this weekend. It may not be as loud as the Flowmaster or Magnaflow systems but when comparing specs it did show the greatest torque gain under 3500 rpm versus the other systems. I could never understand why you would want a loud exhaust anyway. Loud does not always equate to performance gain. All it does is attract attention...usually the wrong attention...like the police. I've always built my vehicles with the quietest exhaust possible. That way I can utilize it's power without drawing the attention of the local law enforcemnt. The only time my vehicles are loud is when I uncap the headers out at the track.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 PM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

I consider dual exhaust two separate pipes running all the way back, not meeting in a Y-pipe. And to be honest, not having a cat isnt bad.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:24 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by matt92
I consider dual exhaust two separate pipes running all the way back, not meeting in a Y-pipe. And to be honest, not having a cat isnt bad.
First not having a cat is a federal offense and having a single in dual out not only looks good for the vehicles that dont have the room but you can absolutely get more out of it along with more sound. You have to realize most tractor trailers with dual stacks are y piped from the turbo back, Keep 1 pipe the perfect medium to keep low end and large enough to flow at higher rpms and then 2 smaller pipes for the look and the similar affects of duals from the muffler back now with 2 pipes pushing out the exhaust. If i had the room to run duals i absolutely would but i dont so on my next truck it will either be dual out or true dual.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

Back in the 70's a "true" dual exhaust system (seperate piping from manifold to tailpipe) was commonplace, but the manufacturers quickly caught on to a little trick that was being used at the race tracks. That trick was to add a H or X crossover pipe behind the collectors. The addition of this crossover pipe increases hp/torque by balancing out the exhaust pulses (hence the name "balance tube" that is now common) which improves cylinder scavenging. It was also discovered that you can move the hp/torque increase up/down the rpm range depending on how far downstream the crossover pipe is placed. A dual exhaust system with a crossover pipe is still a "true" dual exhaust. In fact, it is more efficient.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

I call duals with no crossover "divorced duals" because they're separated and they never come together.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Mgiudice is on a distinguished road

mine has a mach 1 muffler with the dual exhaust and it sounds pretty beastly too.

Quick Reply: Best sounding muffler for the 4.3?