Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Budget ebay CAI?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

I just put a cone filter where the stock airbox was on my Suburban, helped a lot considering the stock box was huge and designed to silence the air and not flow well, not to mention it looked like the air filter the factory put on when I got it, it was so dirty I held it up directly in front of the sun and not a bit of light came through.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
LoneWolf is on a distinguished road

Essentially the cheap ebay I think there the Bomz brand, are just as good as most the super high priced ones. Cold Air Intakes are pretty much a smooth tube with a filter on the end to let air flow better into the intake. Really the ebay ones your only buying for the tube, you always wanna upgrade your filter as soon as you get it.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Peco is an unknown quantity at this point

I got one of ebay a few years ago that came with the heat shield. It is just like the Brute Force air intake. Here are some crappy pics.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Beginning Member
EdgarCervantes is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kennybopaloo
just received a cold air intake from walnut california.

total price including shipping was $ 55.

the crome tubing is very thin but solid and it includes a k and n filter. everything fit with no problems .............................................

were did u buy it from?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ive had the cheap version "CAI" for about 2 yrs now...it absolutely sucks. After the body lift I was having bad rubbing from the Power Steering cap on the stock intake..also it was torqued at a weird angle...I thought a cheap CAI was a good route...

After 6 months, the plastic runner split along the seam... I took it all off, sealed up the two pieces, and wrapped it with a couple band clamps and high heat foil weave insulating tape. That's holding the intake together, but then the other problem is the rubber couplers can slip off the aluminum piping if you goose the throttle real hard. After a few stalls from the post-MAF vac leak (to put it lightly), I found the sweet spot to keep the parts all connected.

Moral of the story...just drop in a K&N/AEM/Whatever brand you like, keep it clean, and if you want more intake noise swiss the airbox or go with a deck lid.

I keep telling myself Im swapping back to the stock air box...but its one of those things...once I get the POS ebay intake working right, I don't think about it/want to mess with it until I have to...

Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

and if you want, you can remove the air silencer off the stock airbox. made the intake sound a bit more noticeable and I'm sure cleared a restrictive area

I got a k&n drop in and removed the silencer

Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
LoneWolf is on a distinguished road

I have a question for anyone who has one of the cheap intakes from ebay. What did you do about the IAT sensor? I don't have a spot for one on the tubes i got. Do I have to cut one or what?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:08 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

people drill holes and use a rubber gromet to hold it in place usually... ebay=crap, I'll do it right the first time from here on out.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Starting Member
FOGEL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
and if you want, you can remove the air silencer off the stock airbox. made the intake sound a bit more noticeable and I'm sure cleared a restrictive area

I got a k&n drop in and removed the silencer

can you explain what the air silencer is in the stock air box? my mind just may not be running right but idk

Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 AM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by FOGEL
can you explain what the air silencer is in the stock air box? my mind just may not be running right but idk
when you remove the airbox, there is a tapered pipe that comes out of it facing the headlights, I think there are a couple plasic rivits? if i remember correctly then you pry it out/bust it out, don't entirely remember.

I checked my intaks temp vs outside temp, while driving it was within 4-6 degrees celsius, and when comming through town (stop n go)it was within 6-10

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Budget ebay CAI?