Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cold air intake during winter=bad idea?

Old 11-02-2012, 12:48 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough
Default cold air intake during winter=bad idea?

I just put my CAI on at the end of last winter. Now I'm hearing that I should remove it during winter months because the air is so cold and dense the computer will dump excess fuel so it won't run lean. Also, there is a possibility of the throttle getting frozen. I read this information on another forum and it all seemed logical. So, has anybody noticed a drop in MPG, or any other problems when using a CAI during the winter? My first thought was they are getting a drop in MPG just because of winter gas...any input is appreciated!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Do you have a heat shield installed? If not, I think the engine will actually warm up faster because it'll be drawing in the air under the hood which will be warmer than the outside air. It should have the opposite effect that we tell people about a CAI & NO heat shield drawing in the warmer air under the hood than the cooler air outside.

On mine the stock air box was fed through a (kind of) small hole behind the DS head lights. With a CAI & no heat shield it was pulling in the warmer air under the hood. Making it warm up faster & too much so in the summer hauling a boat at highway speeds etc.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Vader is on a distinguished road

When I drove my BMW in the winter I left the CAI intake on. I didn't see any adverse effects with it so I don't see a reason to remove it.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

man,once your engine warms up (which doesnt take long) it'll be sucking in warm air anyways. Throttle wont freeze due to the engine being hot. Id only be worried if you'll be in -5 temps.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

Its fine leave it in...

Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM

Yes, it does have a heat shield. I wasn't really buying into the throttle freezing, but the part about the computer dumping fuel kind of made sense. Anyone experience this?

Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Starting Member
Joshs4x4 is on a distinguished road

Its fine your computer does fuel trims from the o2 sensor. 10 years with mine its fine

Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The PCM can adjust fuel mixture acurately down to -40F and up to ~20K' ASL. As long as you're within in those, it shouldn't be a problem

Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Ok, so if you want it to warm up a little faster & depending how cold it gets where you live - then remove the heat shield for the winter.
Before PCM's etc I remember engines that had a bi-metal spring on the intake with a flue/damper that was fed off a metal flex hose that went to a shroud around an exhaust manifold in order to warm the incoming air for the engine.
When the air was cold it would allow the air to enter via the shroud over the manifold. When it was warm enough it would turn the damper so cool air could enter the intake.

Last edited by Rottidog; 11-02-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Thanks guys! I knew I would get some answeres here lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cold air intake during winter=bad idea?