Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 96chevblazer
-52 C holy **** thats -62 F!!! That is COLD!!!

When I lived in Wisconsin we called that "tooth crackin' cold"...LOL. You can have it!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 96chevblazer
-52 C holy **** thats -62 F!!! That is COLD!!!
Welcome to Canadian Winters
Luckily we don't have it AS bad out here on the East Coast. Out west has it far worse.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:10 AM
mav06 is on a distinguished road

Thanks (ABN31B) for putting it so gently lol, yeah i know its a cold air intake but just wasen't for sure how cold was to cold its been about 0-10 degrees so just curious. I have also had a drop in gas mileage so wasen't for sure. Thanks for all the posts and for not making to big of a laugh at me hehehe.

Matt

Old 12-16-2009, 07:55 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

If it's 0-10F then you shouldn't have to worry about it. It's when you drop down into the extreme colds you'd want to remove it.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Alex, not sharp shooting, but i would like to know where you got that info. I didnt find anything on what temps to yank the CAI at. Can you link it or give a general idea (i.e. i googled it as "CAI no-no's wiki" kind of thing)

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

It's not so much a CAI do or don't..but more of a what's best for the engine and sensors. most parts on the car start having problems very far below freezing, much less below 0..and also if you think about what could happen to the hot engine being blasted with air that cold..uneven heating of metals never turns out right

Unless you've got an old thermostat in your house

Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I see no problem leaving a CAI on at all temperatures. The PCM will use the IAT to account for air temp. It won't make a difference. For all intensive purposes, the stock intake is a CAI, albeit a restrictive one.

Now there may be some temperature limitations of an aftermarket oiled air filter... You should consult the manufacturer for specifics.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:54 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Good point Kyle..I hadn't considered that.

But if you had the ability, wouldn't you want to open up the stock intake and allow slightly warmer air into the intake? I suppose freezing temps wouldn't be so much of an issue..but -60*..that's metal-cracking, hose-splitting cold..

Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

AH ok! i'm seeing where this is going now in both arguments. I see the intended benefit of allowing warmer air in. i just didn't know the part where the engine is capable of accounting for uber cold. Thanks for weighing in both of you (Jason and Kyle).

I would think there would be a lot of other more pressing maintenance and performance issues than a CAI in that kind of weather.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike older engines where the carburetors needed warm air initially to keep things working properly, modern engines really do not require anything. All of the parts that may be affected by the cold are in or on the engine where they will be heated by the engine as it comes up to operating temperature. Opening up CAI to warm air would depend on the engine being warmed up already...

The sensors, etc are all designed with temperature limits in mind, even those found in the most frigid of areas.

Quick Reply: Cold air Intake Question