Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cone Air Filter causing problems to MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:51 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough
Default Cone Air Filter causing problems to MAF?

So my Husband's 99 Burban has a PowerAdder Cone Air Filter that just seems to have been put there in place of the Air Box. There isn't a heat shield or anything even holding it up. I wish I had a picture... but I really don't feel like walking outside and taking one. And it was just clamped on to the existing piping leading to the Vortec Assembly. And it probably hasn't been kept up like it should... given that its one that operates with oil or whatever.

I'm wondering if this has caused the MAF to go "haywire" for lack of better terms. I was working on it earlier today and after draining the oil to the proper level it still wouldn't start. So I took the entire Air Assembly off and it cranked right up. Put it back on and plugged everything up and it cranked up again. I don't have a Torx set with me or I would have taken it out and checked it and cleaned it.

I'd really like to get rid of the CAI and get a replacement Air Box, and I'm almost certain MAF... which I might as well just go up to the Pull-a-Part and grab the entire Vortec assembly. But I want to be sure this is the issue before I go spend like 100 bucks...

Old 07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Yea, oil from the filter can be the cause of a dirty or clogged maf sensor. If you are going with the box air filter again, you shouldn't have a problem after you clean the maf. That is a plus to the dry-flow filters. No oil to put on the filter.

Last edited by tibby; 07-10-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 07-10-2011, 08:46 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Alright cool, thanks for confirming this for me. I knew I never liked those "performance" filters. lol

Hopefully this helps someone else out too, could potentially save a lot of money.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Before you dump it,just buy some maf cleaner and clean it and run it. Alot of times filters come overoiled and the " left over" oil has to go somewhere. I had this issue on another car and after i cleaned it i didnt have anymore issues with the cone.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chris015
Before you dump it,just buy some maf cleaner and clean it and run it. Alot of times filters come overoiled and the " left over" oil has to go somewhere. I had this issue on another car and after i cleaned it i didnt have anymore issues with the cone.
X2

The "performance" filters have been proven time and again to be able to flow more are more freely. Dry vs. oiled, oiled has been proven to show better filtration. Too much oil can cause problems with the MAF. A simple cleaning will correct that.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I clean my MAF every now and then with Electronics contact cleaner (same thing as MAF cleaner) and I have yet to run into any MAF related problems. Clean it, leave it.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:51 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

You guys and your fancy MAFs, I,m glad I don't have one so I don't have to worry about it.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 AM

lol, yeah I'm gonna clean it first before I'm completely sold that its shot. But I need to go pick up a set of Torx and cleaner, which means waiting for my husband to get home cause I most definitely don't trust the Burban right now.

But I definitely need a different filter thats installed correctly

Old 07-11-2011, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Always nice to have an excuse to get more tools!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Hehe, I got my Torx set. I was gonna clean the MAF today... but I've got a bathroom to remodel due to a certain dog... Yay wallpaper!

Quick Reply: Cone Air Filter causing problems to MAF?