Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Considering a completely new intake track

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Considering a completely new intake track

Here's the deal: I've always liked the hood scoop look, and I've seen a Blazer rolling around NCSU's campus that has the ram air hood like this:

They run upwards of $300, unpainted. So that's quite expensive for a strictly appearance item. So my question is...is there anyway to re-do the entire intake to make a true ram air style intake? If I'm going to spend 300 on a hood, I'd rather have it do something for me..

A few problems I've already thought of:

-With the shorter intake, the air could be much more turbulent...but if the hole under the scoop is at the back...it could stabilize somewhat?
-Relocating the MAF in such a short track and making it actually effective
-If this is the main intake...how would I keep debris and water out...I know WRXs have an air cleaner element in the scoop...but would this be effective?
-Can I even suck enough air through the hood to fuel the engine?

Thoughts anyone? Solutions? Feel free to shoot the idea down, but gimmie a reason why if it won't work

Also if the ram air idea won't work...is there any benefit to making it a true scoop just to help cool the engine compartment? Or would I need vents at the wiper cowl to get the hot air out as cool air comes in...

Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Considering a completely new intake track

I dont have any anwsers to your questions, but i have thought about doing the same thing. Im interested in seeing what people's ideas are ...

Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

It might be easier to set up with a body lift on..give a little more room to put in some piping and wiring up the MAF...the engine does stay put while the fenders go up with a body lift right...

Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Starting Member
95LS is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know how much you know about old school real muscle cars but i have a 1969 GTO Judge with ram air. theres a **** you pull to open the scoops on the hood to let air in and pontiac claimed it added 5 hp. the only thing i can think of is a 80's model camaro/vette that had the flat filter in the front and somehow put that under/behind the scoop.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 AM
BF Veteran

So those old muscle cars used the scoop as a secondary air intake...hrm...and I'm guessing it was up to the driver not to pull the **** if it was raining or snowing or what not..then the filter for physical debris on a nice day..

The WRX has a simillar flat filter just under the intake...I'll try looking on some Suburu forums...see if I can't figure out how their intake is run (scoop as a secondary or what)

Edit: Talked to a few guys on a WRX forum, found out the WRX uses the hood scoop to cool the top mounted intercooler for their turbo. They said the same thing, the older ram jet pontiacs and camaros used a true hood scoop, but with a rod to control opening.

An idea was suggested to setup a Y pipe, and simply relocate the MAF closer to the throttle body to allow the hood scooped air to pass through the MAF. Thoughts?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Starting Member

actually pontiac referred to it as ram air. there is a air tight rubber seal that is on top of the air filter housing and the bottom of the hood. the driver decided when to pull the **** to open it up. chevelles/camaros had a cowl air hood that worked off vaccum and sucked in cold air in from the base of the windshield ( lower air pressure made it easier to take in the air ). dodge had something as well. what i was suggesting is finding a sir filter like on this site ( camaro/vette sir intake ) to put under the scoop. routing it might be a little diffrent but it can be done. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Starting Member

im sure you can find a stock air box off a camaro/vette in a bone yard or ebay for cheaper and add the air filter ( these boxes were used in the late 80's but im not sure when they started or ended ) that should give yaa good start.