Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

dumped exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Beginning Member
mxboy96 is on a distinguished road
Default dumped exhaust suggestions

I just purchased a Dynomax Super Turbo from my local Advance Auto store. I'm going to put it in because I'm getting tired of the annoying straight piped 6 banger sound, just too much interior resonance in the cab, being an suv and all. And the Dynomax Super Turbo sounded like a good choice. Decent flow and interior packing too to quite it down considerably. But I've got the straight pipe in now, but the muffler is a side/center enter/exit muffler. So if I cut the pipe and fit the muffler in, it would push the tailpipe one way or the other quite a few inchs, and it would either interfer with the leaf spring or tire. So I'm thinking of just cutting out the tailpipe and putting the muffler on and dumping it underneath so I don't have to worry about the tailpipe moving so much, and that's that much less just plain there to mess with. I was just curious if there's any disadvantage to doing this such as different sound, the exhaust exiting underneath, etc. And how anyone else out there likes the Dynomax Super Turbo. Any input is welcomed Thanks!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:51 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Offset mufflers are the norm on these trucks. Are you putting it in with the correct orientation (not reversed)? I would not recommend dumping the exhaust for two reasons.
1.It could allow deadly fumes to enter the cabin area.
2. Most states make it illegal due to reason #1.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Im having trouble picturing your muffler from the description given... post up a picture.

I would avoid dumping it like you just stated for the same reasons rriddle just gave.