Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Ebay Intake and Heatshield idea

Old 11-28-2009, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Ebay Intake and Heatshield idea

So looking at a no name kit on ebay for like 40 bucks with everything and some red pieces to go with the chrome.... now

Heatshield is a must as the "search" function tells me... lol...

Would it be beneficial to "chop" up the original airbox and run it into the box?

The "chop" would be:

Cut the entire bottom out
Cut most of the top out
Cut the side closest to the fender out

Any input??

Old 11-28-2009, 11:42 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

you are talking about cutting up the box to make a heat shield for the CAI? that could work. so long as your cone filter sits inside. i would not cut the top though. it would lose out on the whole point. it would create an opening to the heat of the engine by chopping the top.
if you cut the bottom 3/4 out and 1/2 of the fender side, it will open up the maximum 'cold air in : hot air in' that you could pull off with the stock box i would think. you are still going to want to put something like heating duct insulation behind the air box to create a seperate compartment and keep the engine heat out.
I guess you could chop the top too so long as you seal it up to the hood too.

If you are looking for an easy drop in, there is a trash can that only needs a hole cut into the back, that will fit, and full isolate your filter from heat. the model number is even listen in the thread.

My little sheet metal job took all of 1 hour to build and fits SNUGGLY into place...

Last edited by ABN31B; 11-28-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Click my build thread link in my sig to see how I set mine up... the day I put my stock airbox back in for the winter I noticed a decrease in punch from 2000 RPM to 3500 RPM which is where I usually shift in the "rush" hour traffic on my way to school in the morning.

I would also advise you to get one with a K&N filter, becuase I ended up tossing the cheap one that came with the intake and bought a K&N filter... RE0930 is the p/n I used... 3" outlet and fits right inside the shield I made.