Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Headers for 2004 V6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 PM
noeman5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Headers for 2004 V6?

Hi All,
I looked around before posting but didn't see any information on this. Sorry if it's been asked before. I am looking for headers, for my Blazer (B-1). I have a 2004, 4 door, 4WD, with the Vortec V-6, and stock A/C. I am looking to enhance the performance and will be adding a Hypertech chip (if possible), cat-back exhaust, and Cold Air Intake, but would like to have the exhaust flow as well as the intake, thus, headers instead of stock manifold. I have only been able to find headers up to the '95 model year.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Headers for 2004 V6?

JBA makes shorty headers for up to 2003 but not for 4wd as well does Gibson. I think the 4wd crossmember bar up front is an issue. Try looking at Headman or Edelbrock for long tube. I have seen guys do it but not with out some modification of shaving down some parts and relocating brake lines, etc. Also you need to most likely do air injection mod to the tubes as well. From what I understand and have read, headers are not worth the typical 10-15hp increase with the $ and headaches they cause. Getting a nice 'X' or 'Y' pipe with a high flow cat back exhaust with mandrel tubing is your best bet and will cost half the price. Also dont waste your money on Hypertech or JET chips. All they do is advance the spark curve a little. Get a custom pcm flash from PCFforless.com they get rid of the torque management restriction that GM puts on there. Not only will it wake your truck up off the line and in the low rmp range, but it will shift a lot better and get better mpg as well, that is if your not playing with all the extra power. I would do ignition and e-fan. pulleys are personal preference as well but I wouldnt do pulleys in combo with e-fan unless you put a higher amp/v alternator on.

peas

Old 07-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is much, if any torque management on the 4.3L v6. A tune will definitely wake up the truck, but these engines aren't restricted in the sense of say how my Rainier is by torque management.

A larger, better flowing 'Y' pipe will help out as well. Only reason for an 'X' pipe is if you are going true dual exhaust which is VERY difficult on the s-series Blazer.

I believe that any header made with AIR provisions will work on you 2005. The '04+ do not have the EGR system that the pre-'04s do. But you could just cap off the EGR port on the driver's side header and they should work. If you were to get your PCM tuned to remove the AIR system codes, then you could go with a plain set of headers without the additional provisions.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 AM
blazinblack is an unknown quantity at this point

so has anyone actually put headers on there blazer and if so what did you run for exhaust

[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
cain_45 is an unknown quantity at this point

So a 2003 has AIR injection as well?