Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

help me quiet this pig down (exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Beginning Member
Sam's rustyY2K is on a distinguished road
Default help me quiet this pig down (exhaust)

I know, I know, I'm old and what not because I don't want louder. I just like listening to my radio more than my muffler and right now I can't even talk to people in the back seat.

About six months ago I broke the weld where the the left and right banks join. The manifold had also cracked near the collector on the left side. I saved some money and replaced the pipe, installed new headers and added a muffler. It turns out, the "Y" pipe assembly and the catalytic converter come as one big pipe that can only be installed by removing the transmission brace, or (what I did) cutting the pipe between the Y and the CC.

So currently from front to rear I have JBA headers, a new Y pipe, a section of straight pipe running back and bending down to where the old muffler was. Someone gave me a Flowmaster super 44, but with it installed, the thing was a biplane going down the highway. I sprang for a Flowmaster 50, but it's still loud inside at highway speed.

I'm planning on welding the clamped joints, adding a pipe to the rear and welding in the new CC.

Is there anything else I can do short of another muffler that would level off some of the highway noise? I've modeled a new pipe above the rear axle, outside of the frame and into the cavity behind the right side of the bumper. I was considering cutting a round hole and exiting there. Would adding a second muffler there help? Like, hiding a cheap parts store "fart can" inside the cavity?

I really want to avoid the garbage pinch seamed can of insulation that comes factory. The factory muffler was spitting out pieces of "insulation" before I removed it. I just don't know that much about sound technology.

Thanks for any ideas

Sam

Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Edelbrock SDT muffler 2.5 in/out. MUCH quieter than a Flowmaster 50. Good tone, and I can hear my radio and passengers with no problems. You could also add a resonator to quiet things down.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

you can always go with a stock exhaust

they were real quiet

Old 01-28-2012, 01:39 AM
Beginning Member

Stock exhaust was a novel idea a few weeks ago. I was trying to save money not buying a new "cat-back" assembly. The 44 was free and the 50 cost me $20. the pipe was cheap and bending was free. The only other investment at this point was the few dollars in clamps. Headers seemed like a big expense, but compared to the cost of a new manifold,not much more.

I really don't mind spending a few dollars more, but I'm trying to shy away from buying (at full price) a new muffler.

Would a small resonator knock down some of the highway speed noise? It's mostly at low RPM (<1300) medium and heavy loads that I get the most "roar".

Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

You could add resonators, and second mufflers and whatnot and sure it'll work. But in the end, you'll have more in it than you can get a stock sounding muffler for. I'd just go with a stocker in your case, and sell what you already have recouping some of that cash.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member

For what it's worth, sounds like the best plan. The Edelbrock muffler actually isn't as much as I thought. For the long run it seems worth it.

I like the "Flowmaster sound", it just drones at a certain RPM much louder that I'd like. I read something last night about Helmholtz resonators. Anyone know anything about these (just out of curiosity)?

Thanks for the ideas,

Sam