Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

intake on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Beginning Member
MisterBrusso is on a distinguished road
Default intake on a budget

so im thinkin of buying an intake system for my 03 blazer but im on a TIGHT budget since my wife and i just had our second baby (a 1 yr old girl and a 2 week old boy now) and i came across this on ebay.

what is your HONEST opinion of this set up

96-03 CHEVY S10 BLAZER AIR INTAKE SYSTEM 97 98 99 00 01 | eBay

Old 07-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

im also interested.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Ive got one of them ebay setups on my lumina. Filters seem pretty good. Looks good too. gained 1 mpg,cant say much about power.a filter isnt going to improve much until you do exhaust etc too.I say go for it. you cant beat the price.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Beginning Member
MisterBrusso is on a distinguished road

thank you. on saturday im suppose to get the piping on the exhaust done when they put on a flowmaster super 40. lookin for cheap headers as well. so hopefully this intake will help out as well

Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Looks decent, then make your own heat shield:

How-To: Heatshield

The dimensions are a close estimate so be sure to use your own template to get everything perfect.

Also, IMHO headers aren't worth it unless you port match your heads. You will see bigger gains with a mandrel bent y pipe instead of the crush bent stocker.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Try swissing your airbox first and dropping in a K&N filter (or filter of your choice) if you are on that tight of a budget.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member
bowtieboy27 is on a distinguished road

hey
i have an excellent solution.

96-05 S10/JIMMY/BLAZER/SONOMA 4.3L V6 COLD AIR INTAKE | eBay
i bought this a month ago and it works so much better then the stock box. i am 17 and i installed it in a half hour so a baby could do it. the mileage is noticable from the first week and the power is definatley better. it makes the engine sound more throaty. i definatley recommoend this.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Beginning Member
KNOFF1987 is on a distinguished road

I did my cold air kit out of a 90 degree elbow, 2 couples, and a conical air filter. Cost me like $20 but i already had the filter so like $40 including a filter. Looks really nice and it frees up a lot of space. Only thing i didnt connect is the hose running into the stock air box from the valve cover. Havent had any issues running it like this.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Starting Member
Frog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by KNOFF1987
I did my cold air kit out of a 90 degree elbow, 2 couples, and a conical air filter. Cost me like $20 but i already had the filter so like $40 including a filter. Looks really nice and it frees up a lot of space. Only thing i didnt connect is the hose running into the stock air box from the valve cover. Havent had any issues running it like this.
I would put a filter on the end of the hose coming from the valve cover...it is a vacuum source and could suck in some dirt and crud....that is not going to be very good for your engine.

I will post a pic later on how I did mine....but, what I used was some flexible stainless exhaust tubing, a spectra cone filter and a couple spectra rubber boots and made a bracket to hold it outta the way of the alt...so far so good.

You can actually see part of it in this vid....not much though.

RPM's ??? 2 - YouTube

Old 08-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Beginning Member
KNOFF1987 is on a distinguished road

Ya I have one of the little mini spectra filters on it. Wasnt sure that it was vacuum but still didnt wanna leave an open hole into my valve cover.

Quick Reply: intake on a budget